Chapter 25 - Sebastian Sallow's Return

"Let it go, Sebastian. I really don't want to discuss it right now," I sighed, rolling my eyes before resting my elbows on the table, trying to alleviate the pounding in my temples by massaging my forehead. The migraines had been plaguing me for weeks, and the relentless questioning sessions weren't making things any better.

"Come on, Katie," he insisted, tugging at my arm to make me look at him. "It's been a month..."

"Oh, I'm well aware of that!" I replied with a hint of frustration. "I've been living a nightmare every day since that night, so don't worry, I've had plenty of time to count how long it's been."

A few weeks back, after being dismissed from his office, I had eventually made my way back to my quarters and immediately wrote a letter to Sebastian, explaining what had happened. Well, I tried to explain, but the tear-streaked letter was mostly illegible due to my emotional outpouring. I recounted how Sharp had forbidden me from contacting him and left me heartbroken.

However, I would never have imagined that two weeks later, he would go to the lengths of leaving everything behind in Japan, leaving Anne and Ominis, to come to Hogwarts for a few weeks to care for me.

"I'm really sorry, Katie," he said, taking my hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze. He leaned across the table that separated us, drawing closer. "But I firmly believe you should consider talking to him."

"He's been very clear. He doesn't want to see me again or even have me reach out," I repeated, my voice breaking with emotion.

"It's Sharp! How many times has he told you something he didn't believes in? Like those absurd rules he made you agree to, but never acted on when you broke them all?" Sebastian raised an eyebrow before taking a sip of his Butterbeer.

I lowered my gaze to my untouched mug. I hadn't had the heart to drink from it, my throat constricted. We had arrived at the Three Broomsticks just over an hour ago, and Sebastian was already on his second drink.

The inn was unusually calm tonight. Unlike other weeknight evenings when customers crowded around the bar, many tables remained empty. This was a stark contrast to the bustling streets of the town, where students were frenetically shopping for their Yule Ball outfits, just a week away.

For greater comfort, Sebastian and I had chosen seats in the back of the room, close to the enormous fireplace. The warmth was a solace after a long, snowy walk.

"I don't know, Sebastian... maybe it's time for me to move on," I suggested, though my conviction wavered.

"Can you do that?"

"I don't know..."

"You deserve closure, Katie. He owes you that, and you might find it when we're..." His words trailed off, and his gaze fixated on the entrance.

"What? What's wrong?" I questioned, furrowing my brows, surprised by his sudden shift in demeanor.

"Nothing..." he responded promptly, a smirk playing on his face. "Just simple curiosity. What would you do if Sharp walked into the tavern right now?"

"I'm not sure," I replied honestly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I took a deep breath before adding, "I'd probably ignore him, as he asked me to."

"Alright... and what would you genuinely want to do if he hadn't placed these barriers between you?" He probed further, delving deeper into my thoughts.

"If I could do whatever I wanted? Without the fear of him pushing me away again?" He nodded in response to my question and settled back into his seat, arms crossed over his chest, that maddening mischievous smile still gracing his face. "Well... I suppose I would go and talk to him... tell him how I feel..."