Too close

Tatlin looked at me again after warning Martha with her eyes.

“If there is anyone who is rude to you, please tell me. I will make sure to dispose of them right away.”

At those words, the servants except for Martha shouted “Eek”!

As I turned my gaze toward the source of the sound, the servants who made eye contact with me pulled up their lips and smiled.

But their eyes were not smiling.

‘This is it. A smile fueled by capitalism.’

I also smile often, so I suddenly felt a sense of homogeneity. I encouraged them with pity in my heart.

“Well, I just want you to do your job well.”

“Yes, Miss!”

All the former employees were disapproving of me anyway, so even if they were fired, I didn’t feel particularly sad.

The reason I left them alone was because I couldn’t help myself with my status.

I lived in the annex and wasn’t the employer who hired them directly.

All I could do was to make sure that they wouldn’t talk about my backstory and act rudely in front of me.

The best way for the servants who were frightened by my actions, was to keep themselves out of my sight.

It was also satisfying that they were invisible.

Anyway, it was true the previous servants didn’t like me, so I felt relieved, but I couldn’t understand at all.

‘Why are you doing this all of a sudden?’

I couldn’t figure out what the duchess was thinking. She cut off a large number of long-serving employees just by listening to my exclusive maid.

I didn’t expect the duchess to do this.

‘I’ll be leaving this house sooner or later anyway.’

So she didn’t have to pay attention to me. Rather, the more the duchess cared about me, the more I was worried about how she would change when the secret of my birth was revealed.

“Above all, she said to take good care of the young miss.”

Tatlin stared at me with sharp eyes.

From those determined looks, I guessed the duchess’s intentions.

‘She is trying to keep an eye on me in case I drink poison.’

The duchess didn’t like it that I had to drink poison in order to make an antidote.

Even though there would be no  reason for that. I thought it wouldn’t matter if I drank poison or  not.

But to stop me from drinking poison….

‘Are you worried about me? Me, who even isn’t your own daughter?’

There was no such contradiction as the existence of Themis Perdia, and no one else who was worried about me.

Although I’d been seeing and talking to the duchess more often lately, it was purely for work.