Jackpot

The morning I woke up after a warm bath and a good night’s sleep, attended to by the maids who have been giving me embarrassing compliments on everything I did since the staff of the annex were changed.

The day after I left the temple, absolutely nothing happened.

It was a strange thing. I could still remember the priests surrounding me and talking about me as a savior.

At this point, I wondered if I’d dreamt about falling into the temple, but there was clear evidence that it was happening in the room.

[Wow, what is this? The world is getting better!]

Thud, dull thud, tada tada tada. Kudang!

I sat down at the table, trying to ignore Greed who wanted to touch and mess with everything and see if anything looked worthy of his name.

On the table were the morning papers from the various newspapers I’d asked Martha to bring.

They ranged from the papers of large, respectable newspapers to those of newspapers known for their gossipy content.

I quickly flicked through them, nervous as hell.

The story about me didn’t even have the “E” from Elodie in them.

I could tell who had blocked it without looking, and all I could think was admiration.

“That’s the Perdia family.”

Very good press control. I’m sure the Temple of Ishtar was not happy.

They were a bunch of lunatics who would do anything to get their way, so they were not going to easily give up on me, their supposed ‘savior’, easily, but Perdia had done it.

“I guess I’ll have to leave the country after all…….”

My dreams of buying a house in the neighborhood and living in comfort were long gone.

Even though there was no place on this continent that hasn’t been affected by Perdia and the Temple of Ishtar, it gave me a reason to get as far away as possible.

Naturally, I had one more thing to do.

Learning a foreign language.

‘Life certainly doesn’t get any easier.’

But after skimming through the pages of the newspaper, I felt much more at ease, for I had been nervous about being the center of a commotion.

‘I don’t know how long Perdia will be my shield, but for now, I don’t want to think about it.’

Instead of a single line about me, there was one that was common to several newspapers.

[The lovely Lady Dorothea Angellus in tears? What on earth happened at the meeting?]

These were the articles about the incident where Dorothea Angellus ran out crying at the Fountain of Ishtar.

The story about me was completely excluded.

But in some newspapers the story was there, and in others the space where it should have been was white and empty.