Extra 3: Past life 4

During the half month that Ruan Yimian was in the Zheng family for treatment, Huo Aowu traveled between the county and the village. He even forgot to feed the two pheasants raised at home. Fortunately, he still had an "apprentice" Xu Qingshan who volunteered to help.

After Xu Qingshan learned the hunting skills from him, he regarded him as his master. In fact, Huo Aowu regarded him as his brother in his heart.

When he came back that day, he saw Xu Qingshan sitting on the steps of his house with a gloomy look on his face. Huo Aowu asked. Xu Qingshan was here to discuss the matter with him, so he naturally kept it secret from him.

"The person who works for the county government in Dongjiao Village said that there will be another conscription in the spring of next year. If there is only one man in the family, he will have to recruit someone, otherwise he will have to pay for it. Master, you should make preparations earlier."

Huo Aowu's expression was solemn: "Originally, wasn't there one person for every second son, and the only son was not recruited? Why did this rule change again?"

"It's not just to make more money!" Xu Qingshan was a little angry, "The family that hired me to cut rice has relatives working in the county government. They said that the county magistrate was about to be transferred, and they wanted to make the last fortune! This new guy Once the rules come out, families with men at home will get at least five taels, and the more people there are, the more they will get!"

"Hey! People in Dongjiao Village have known about this news a month ago. We just now know that if we want to pay for exemption from military service, we have to go to the Yamen in advance to make arrangements. In the remaining few months, where can we raise the money? ?"

Xu Qingshan sighed: "I just emptied my family's money to raise all the money and handed it over. What will we eat in the days to come?"

Xu Qingshan's family has no farmland, and the mother and son make a living by doing part-time labor for others. However, after the winter comes, farming ceases, and there is less labor in the town. If there is a heavy snowfall, it will be difficult to get out of Shanliu Village. , making a living is even more difficult.

Huo Aowu thought for a moment and said, "I'll lend you five taels. Don't worry about this. Just keep saving money to buy land."

Xu Qingshan shook his head: "Master, I'm not here to borrow money from you."

"Yuan Yi and the others don't plan to pay any money. They are going to join the army. I have also thought about it and will go with them."

Yuan Yi and others, like Xu Qingshan, all moved from outside the country and had no land at home. He was the only man in Xu Qingshan's family, so he only had to pay five taels of silver. Yuan Yi and his family had two or three young men, and four or five more, so they had to pay more money.

Huo Aowu didn't have much friendship with Yuan Yi and the others, and he didn't know much about their family situation, so Xu Qingshan explained a few more words.

"Yuan Yi goes to the border. As long as his family provides another five taels of silver, he can save his younger brothers. The same goes for Liu Feng."

"Yuan Qi's mother was injured when she was fleeing famine. She has no money for medical treatment these years. Yuan Qi said that if he could go to the border to make a fortune, his family would be able to completely turn over. Even if he failed, as long as he could come back alive, , you can also bring back some reward money to improve your family situation; if you unfortunately die in battle, the government will also pay you a pension of at least fifty taels, and then your mother will have enough money to treat her illness."