Chapter 06

Arnav

I settled down in my seat the next day for breakfast but found it awfully quiet.

"Good morning, Nani." I greeted Nani as she seated herself at the head of the table. She opened her mouth to reply or say something but stopped as Mama entered the space with a very joyful Mami behind him.

"Good morning, Sasuma." Mami cried excitedly, then turned to me before sitting between Nani and Mama. "Good morning, Arnav Bitwa."

I murmured my reply as Hariprakash served breakfast and poured everyone juice.

"Why aren't the others down yet?" Nani inquired while searching, then turned to Hariprakash. "Go, call everyone."

I sipped my juice while Mami munched down the food on her plate and exclaimed, "Thanks to you, Arnav Bitwa. Because of you, the wedding didn't happen. And I slept very well last night."

"You are absolutely right, Mami Ji." Shyam's voice came before him, and he took a seat beside me. "That Gupta family was never perfect for the Raizada's. You deserve a much better daughter-in-law and Akash, a better wife."

I clenched my jaws harder as he continued to speak his nonsense. The Gupta family might not be of the same standard as us, but they were at least better than him. Then Khushi... I still can't believe she could do something like this. She, of all people.

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye, Damad Ji. I completely agree with you. I never liked Khunbhari Tang or her family." Mami briefly paused to take a bite of something before continuing, "I was very unhappy with the wedding. But what else was I supposed to do? Akash is my only son. And... good morning, Anjali Bitiya?"

I snapped my eyes at Di and said, "Good morning, Di." But she just ignored me and nodded at Mami. Seriously, Di? You seriously are going to do this to me?

"Why aren't Akash and NK coming?" Mama asked particularly no one and was about to call for Hariprakash when Jij... Shyam spoke up.

"Arre, Mama Ji. I forgot to tell you. I went to Akash's room to call him for breakfast, but he said he would eat in his room today. And NK Bhai is sleeping."

Mama stifled but nodded while Nani glanced at me for a second before sipping from her tea.

"Nani, I think we should go to Payal Ji's house." Di said it for the first time while looking at Nani.

"We shou..."

"Yes, yes. You should go there, Anjali Bitiya, and bring back all the  jewelry." Mami interrupted as she straightened up in her seat, while Nani shook her head but didn't say anything more.

"Mami.. I wanted to go there to apologize, not for the jewelry." Di said softly before exchanging a look with Nani. "You also know that it's our fault the wedding broke."

"It's not our fault. Th.."  Mami answered quietly as I took a toast and started buttering it as they continued to argue among themselves.

"Stop this. We are here to have breakfast like a normal family. And we will do so... But if you want to talk or make decisions regarding Akash's life or wedding, do it in front of him." Nani snapped before glaring at both Mami and Di. Then, after a moment, she shouted, "Hariprakash, tell Akash to come down right now."

"Ji, Nani Ji." Hariprakash's voice came from the kitchen while I swallowed dryly and waited for him to come down.

It felt like a while before he finally came down and settled down next to Shyam without even looking at me.

"Akash Bitwa, your mother, and Di are very concerned about your wellbeing. So I thought it would be better if you were present while they continued to do so." Nani said it with raised brows but kept her eyes fixed on her plate.