Chapter 41

Khushi

"What did he do?" Suraj asked, turning to me after we settled down inside his car to wait for Jiji.

I shook my head slightly as I covered my face with my left hand for a few seconds. It's okay. I'm not with him anymore. I'm with Suraj. I'm fine. I'm safe.

I dropped it from my face and then looked at Suraj on my right, who was looking at me with a V deep between his brows and a worried look on his face.

"Don't worry about him." I said it quietly.

"I'm not worried about him." He replied. "I'm worried about you!"

"Then don't worry about me. I'm..." I nodded as I swallowed. "I'm fine."

"Really?" He asked as he turned on his seat to look at me.

I nodded again and tried to force a smile with it, but I failed.

"Then why were you crying?" His brows deepened.

"I... I wasn't crying. I was just..." I looked down, and I found I was still holding his hand.

"Are you trying to save him for something he did?" Suraj interrupted.

I looked up before asking, "Why will I do that?"

"Then why?"

I licked my dry lips and sighed, "You were right." I nodded slightly. "He... confessed to me today."

I felt Suraj's hand go still beneath mine as his face suddenly turned sad and lost. But that didn't last for more than a few seconds before he pulled his hand free from mine and looked me in the eyes before asking, "And... What did you say?"

I bit the corner of my lips as I avoided his question and instead said, "I'm transferring my whole team back to the headquarters. And if AR wants to meet, then only the design department is allowed to come to the headquarters. But if their CEO wants to meet, then you'll have to come to Delhi." I looked down at my left hand. "Although I admit it will be tough for the designers and you, there's nothing else I can offer."

Suraj stayed quiet as I stared at my palm, but when he finally broke the silence, he only said, "If that's what you want!"

I pressed my lips briefly together before nodding. "That's what I want!"

I turned my hand over, and like always, the deep knife-cutting scar was the first thing I noticed... A scar for a lifetime...

"You didn't answer my question." I looked up at him, but he sat facing away from me while gripping the steering wheel tightly.

I slowly started scratching the wound scar on my ring finger, turned my head away from him, and stared ahead at the AR exit porch.

"I told him I didn't feel for him anymore. But he didn't want to accept it. Then he asked why I was scared to admit my feelings. Why was I hiding it?" I paused as I felt Suraj's eyes on me. "Then he saw you. And he asked if you were the reason why I was lying."

I swallowed deeply as he waited for me to continue. but I took my time to gather all the strength from within me because I was going to do something, which, well, I am going to confess to him and I might get rejected.

"And what did you say?" I heard his impatience in his voice.

I huffed out a breath and clenched my hands together tightly.

"I love you." I closed my eyes and waited as my breath caught for a heartbeat. Then another. And another, but no reply came from my right. He's going to reject me. Oh, Devi Maiya, why didn't I just wait till we reached home? At least I would have had a place to hide my face from this situation...