Chapter 33

Khushi

Mumbai

"Jiji, What are you going to wear?" I asked Jiji while I bit into a laddo and smiled as I suddenly remembered something.

"I'll..." Jiji looked at me as she closed her laptop and raised her brows. "Why are you smiling like an idiot?"

My smile broadened as I heard her, then I pushed a whole laddo into my mouth and offered her the container from my place on the bed. Jiji stood up from the armchair before walking up to the bed and sitting with a thud.

"The day, Jijaji," She shook her head as I said the last word. "Proposed to you, he told me that there are 307 calories in one besan ke laddo." She looked up at me, then down at the half-eating laddo in her hand, then again at me before she burst into a laugh with a hand covering her mouth. "Also that I must not take more than 6 teaspoons of sugar."

"Imagine what he would have said if he had seen you eating 21 laddos at once." Jiji added as she laughed loudly.

I sighed and put down the container on the bed before saying, "He would have fainted for sure. Also, I didn't eat the laddo alone. Manoj was also..."

"Ha, ha. We know!" She stopped with a hand before pushing the remaining laddo into her mouth, then got on her feet and walked inside the washroom.

"Where are you going?" I asked with a laddo in my mouth. "And what will you wear today?"

"Let me wash my hands, then I'll show you." She answered loudly before I heard the water running. Who washes their hand after eating a laddo? I thought for a moment before shrugging and looking inside the container. 5? Just 5 left? I'll have to ask Bua Ji for a restock.

Jiji walked out of the washroom, then went to the cupboard and opened it before taking out something in pastel orange.

"I'll wear this." She informed me as she dropped the saree in front of me, then stood by the bed with her hands on her hips and a small blush on her cheeks. I raised an eyebrow at her as I touched the saree.

"Jijaji gave it to you?" I asked with questioning eyes as I felt my brows tugging in the middle.

Her eyes met mine before her cheeks turned a darker shade of red, and she nodded with a small smile as she looked down at the saree while fiddling with the ring on her ring finger.

"Are you... happy?" I asked as I looked down at her ring, then back at her eyes.

"Yes." She answered before her smile reached her eyes as she talked about Jijaji, like she was talking about a part of herself. Then she suddenly kicked me out of her room to get ready.

I was about to walk to my room with the laddo container in hand when the bell rang. Suraj's already here? My eyes widened as I looked at the clock in the living room and slapped my palm on my forehead. Jiji will kill me if I'm late again. I hurriedly ran to the door and opened it before handing Suraj the container.

"I'll be ready in 10 minutes, I promise. Please handle Jiji, okay?" I said over my shoulder as I hurriedly walked backwards to my room.

"I swear on Devi Maiya, I was hurrying." I said this from my place in the passenger seat in Suraj's car as I looked in the rearview mirror at Jiji, who was sitting directly behind Suraj, working on her laptop. "Jiji, you're looking very, very beautiful!"