Chapter 24

Arnav

It's been 3 days since we came here, but I still couldn't talk to her apart from the argument that night. She's... I don't know how to say it without using the word, changed... She has changed. A lot. And I thought she wanted Akash and Payal to be together. But after that night, I'm not very sure about what she wants anymore. But one thing I know about her is that she won't want anything bad for anyone. Ever. But then again, her actions are saying something very differ... Chum...

I should talk to her. And I want to talk to her. But she's avoiding me like a disease. She hasn't even looked at me in the eyes ever since that night, and when I tried to thank her for helping Di... She just walked past me with no acknowledgement on her face of my expressing gratitude, like I was nothing but merely a piece of furniture she could avoid.

I groaned slowly while rubbing my hands over my face as I leaned back against the headboard with my laptop on my lap. God, I felt tired. I should've tried to get some sleep last night, but instead I decided to work and have been working till now... I looked up at the open window right opposite the bed as I heard a laugh. I know it's her... and I want to see her; I want to see her laugh and be happy, but I shouldn't... because whenever I think of her, I can't help but remember the way she behaved with Akash and the way she talked to him. I just... I don't know what I want to do or what I should do when it concerns her. Also, she's the reason behind the current situation about Akash and Payal, about Di, about me... and lastly... my feelings for her, which seem to be growing with every breath I take.

I placed my laptop on the bed before dropping on my feet and walking up to the open window.

"Payaliya, come here, right now!" I heard Bua Ji shout, followed by some murmuring voices, but I couldn't see anyone from up here.

I sighed as I stood there and looked straight ahead at the main gate, where two people were working. They're changing the gate, I think... I wonder how they are managing all this. It must not be easy for a middle-class family to manage such a big house as this. Also, if they already had this house, then why were they living with Bua Ji all this time? I'm sure they would have been offered really good money for this hou...

A knock sounded on my door.

"Lunch is ready." Manoj said with a tray in his hand as soon as I opened the door and left in a hurry.

I freshened up a little before going downstairs and found my entire family sitting in the living room, including Mami, with Aunty and Bua Ji.

I went to sit next to Di, who was eating something brown-looking from a bowl.

"What are you eating?" I asked quietly, with a frown on my face, as I saw a jar sitting right next to her.

"Achar." She answered and smiled at me before she ate another bite using her fingers and looked ahead. "Bua Ji said I could take this home."

I followed her gaze and looked at Nani, who sat next to Bua Ji while making garlands. Why does Nani look awfully close to Gupta's? especially Bua Ji.

"Jiji and I finished making all the sweets and snacks, and Manoj got the woods ready. It's on the back." Khushi announced loudly from the kitchen before peering through one of the windows of the kitchen and adding, "Can we have lunch now?"

"Make sure it's just us for the Holi Ka Dahan. But you can invite anyone for Holi tomorrow." Bua Ji replied back.

"Okay." An excited reply came from the kitchen again.