Epilogue II

Payal

25th May, 2019
Lucknow

"Payal!" Nikhil called me loudly from the hallway outside our room as I finished applying my lipstick.

"Two minutes!" I pressed my lips briefly, then checked my lipstick.

"Payal, I swear if I'm late for her wedding then..." Nikhil started as I gave a quick wipe of mascara on my lashes.

"Nikhil," I cut in as I dropped the mascara. "You won't be late! All we have to do is get downstairs for the wedding."

I heard him sigh. But I decided to avoid it as I stood up from my chair, then walked up to the full-length mirror on the other side of the room and fixed the plates of my saree.

"Payal, how can you plan on being late for Khushi's..." I heard Nikhil before I saw his reflection in the mirror. He stopped as he looked at me with wide eyes and then added, "Wow, you look beautiful!"

"Thank you!" I said that and turned to him. "And I'm not late. But even if I am..." I walked to the dressing table and fixed my low bun. "She'll understand. She's my sister."

"Lagta to nahi hai, that she's your sister." He replied with a frown. "But I'm not like you. I'll go to my sister's wedding on time. Bye!" And with that, he left.

I sighed and fixed my earrings before I took my phone and exited my room. Jaisi Behen waisa Bhai!

"Now I'll have to convince him!" I said to myself with a smile as I walked down the hallway of the second floor and went directly to Khushi's room.

I slowly opened the door, and I walked inside quietly, and there he was standing next to Khushi while saying, "Don't use kajal. It's not safe for your eyes."

Khushi turned to Nikhil while pushing a Jalebi inside her mouth. Jalebi?... Where did she get it from? I sighed. I had told Manoj to hide it pr...

"I even told Payal not to use it, but she never stopped using it." He complained.

"So you thought, let's go and badmouth her with Khushi, who will always support you?" I asked as I closed the door loudly behind me and walked up to them as they looked at me with startled reactions on their faces.

"Payal, wo..." Nikhil started, but I interrupted, saying, "Sorry, I am a little late!"

He blinked at me twice before smiling and saying, "It's okay, and I'm sorry too for speaking loudly to you!"

I smiled at him and said, "Why don't you go and check on Suraj? He must be alone." Since he doesn't have any family members alive.

Nikhil nodded and smiled at Khushi before leaving us alone.

"Now, where did you get this Jalebi from?" I looked at the small packet of Jalebi, then back at her.

"Suraj bought it for me!" She smiled and pushed the piece into her mouth before twirling. "How do I look?"

"Beautiful!" And I put a kala thika behind her ear. "Let's go! Your Suraj must be waiting!"

The End