Chapter 22

Payal

I sat on a single sofa in the living room, while Akash sat a little away on another sofa on my right. I fiddled with the end of my white dupatta and carefully looked around from the corners of my eyes for Khushi. Where are you? I need you h...

"Payal..." He whispered my name so slowly and so softly... that it made me look up at his face. He was already looking at me with something similar to loneliness in his eyes. But there was no remorse. No regret or guilt... And I felt a deep tug somewhere inside me. Maybe... If.. if I look harder, I'll find it. Maybe I'll find it if.. I wait a little more. I think I will fi...

"I want to apologize to you. I never meant to hurt you like I did. It was never my intention." He said this before he reached out and took my right hand in his. "Please give me another chance. I.. promise, I'll fix everything. I'll never hurt you again. I'll always support you."

I looked down at my other hand resting on my lap and swallowed dryly to get rid of the growing lump in my throat. It's not about supporting me. It's not about choosing me. It's...

"Payal... You know that I love you." I closed my eyes while taking a small breath through my trembling lips. "I'll do anything. I promise, I'll do anything you ask me to do. Just... tell me what you want me to do, and I'll..."

"..do anything... Right?" I opened my eyes as I heard Khushi's voice taunting, and I looked up. Following my gaze, Akash also looked over his shoulder, where she stood near the dining table with a hand on a chair, with Anjali Ji standing behind her and Arnav Ji coming out of the kitchen with Manoj right behind.

She walked up to us and stood right opposite me with the center table between us and stared down, where Akash held my hand, then up at him and walked around the table to us and pulled my hand free from his and gently pulled me with her to stand back to her former place near the center table before letting go of my hand.

"Khushi..." Akash stood and looked at Khushi with a little hint of irritation in his voice. "I was talking to her."

"And what were you saying that couldn't be said in front of me or the family?" Khushi asked, quietly and crossing her arms over her chest.

"Not everything can be said in front of you and the family!" Akash replied irritatedly.

"Then I can't let you talk to her when..." Khushi remarked calmly.

"You can't." He repeated this as he let out a laugh before she could finish and pointed at her with his finger. "You can't let us talk or even stay in the same room when this is entirely our business and has nothing..."

"Akash.." Anjali Ji warned him softly and came to stand beside him, with Arnav Ji behind her.

But he avoided her warning and continued while raising his voice slightly. "I was an idiot for not believing Di... She was actually right about you. You were trying to keep me and Payal apart. You..."

"Well, forgive me for trying to keep my sister away from a guy who can't even stand up for himself, let alone choose her over his brother's or mother's words and..." Khushi replied as she took a step towards him while her voice rose.

"How dare you?" Arnav Ji interrupted loudly as he started towards us, while Akash and Anjali Ji started at Khushi with wide eyes.