Chapter 15

Arnav

"I think it's time to pay the Gupta family a visit." Nani said as she sipped from her tea and gave a short glance around to the family sitting in the living room, over the rim of her cup.

I looked down at the newspaper and started reading it as my surroundings fell into a deep silence.

"Yes, Nani. You're right. When do you want to go?" Di said as she placed her cup down on the table, looking ready to leave.

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye, Sasuma. But don't you think that whatever happened was for our own good? You know, like God is giving us a sign to save ourselves from them?" Mami suggested. "Also, that Bua Ji said that she's going to compensate us for everything, but she just sent back our shagun."

I looked up at Mami with my fingers over my lips as soon as Mami finished. How is she so cheap?

"Really, manorama? All you care about is.. money?" Nani asked. Her voice sounded disappointed.

"No,no. Of course not, Sasuma. But, that Bua Ji did announce that she would compensate us in a very loud and proud voice. So.." Mami explained, as Nani had somehow offended her.

"She did. She sent the money that day with the shagun. And before you ask, it was more than we had actually used for the wedding." Nani interrupted as she looked down on her lap. They sent money? When did that happen?

"How did they afford so much money?.. But how much did she send?" Mami asked with wide eyes. She literally looks curious about it.

Nani sighed, and her shoulders slumped down as she shared a glance with Di. Then she again turned to Mami before saying, "Manorama... I'm not going to repeat my words for you today because I've finally accepted my defeat, that you can't change. It's just... not possible. So, I apologize for all the things I have ever said to you. I..."

Di and I shared a look before she leaned in and slowly whispered, "Shouldn't we call Akash?"

I shook my head at her because the last thing Akash would want to see was how his mother and grandmother were arguing over the money his in-laws sent. She slowly nodded and returned her focus back to the matter at hand. At least, she's been talking to me since last night.

"...how is any of it my fault?" Mami asked. "The wedding didn't take place because of Arnav Bitwa. And Anjali Bitiya also didn't say anything to that Phati Saree when she was talking about all that nonsense." Chum... Not now.

"Don't blame the kids for this when you're also the reason that broke Akash's wedding." Nani snapped back and pointed a finger at Mami with a glare.

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye! You're always blaming me for everything, Sasuma. How is it my fault if Khunbhari Tang broke the wedding? I..." Mami complained as Mama tried to shut her up. Why can't she just admit that she's wr... Chum-chum-chum.... I sighed defeatedly.

"You never wanted Akash and Payal to get married. You never gave her your blessings or talked to her nicely. But that poor girl still tried so hard to make a place for herself, but you... You never gave her a single opportunity. All you did was taunt her and her family in return." Nani interrupted, her voice rising with each word.

I watched them argue for some more before I decided that I had enough of their blame game and spoke up.

"Stop. Both of you." I said it loudly, silencing everything and everyone around me as they turned to face me. "There's no point in arguing." Because everything is my fault and I'm... Chum... responsible.

Nani took a deep breath before exhaling loudly and turning away from Mami to Di with a last glare. Di looked at both of them with hesitation before pouring a fresh cup of tea for Nani and handing it out.

I internally shook my head, grabbed my laptop from beside me, and turned my focus to work with a brief glance at the two of them.

"The Gupta family is not suitable for my Akash or anyone in this family." Mami spoke up, breaking the silence.

I looked up at her, then took a short glance at Nani. She just sipped her tea with a frown creasing her face. I again turned to Mami with clenched jaws. Why can't she just shut up for once?

"Mami..." I started, but Mami turned to me with a look on her face and interrupted, "Arnav Bitwa... Please don't speak in between when the elders are talking."

I stared at her with my mouth slightly open before I gathered myself again. Nani had a shocked look on her face, but soon it turned into amusement as she glanced between Mami and me before fully turning to Mami and giving her full attention.

"Sasuma... Would you want to marry your own son with a girl whose sister was having an affair with your Damad?" Mami asked as she stared at Nani.

"She was not having an affair." Nani answered in a clipped voice. All her amusement was gone.

"But she was engaged, wasn't she?" Mami asked with her brows pulled together in the middle and looked around at us before turning to Nani again.

"Shyam told us that he had lied to them. He also said that they broke the engagement the moment they got to know the truth about him being already married." Nani replied as they held eyes. Wasn't Mami afraid of Nani?

I turned to Di, but she was sitting normally and didn't look uncomfortable, sad, or on the verge of crying. That's a good sign, I guess.

"How can you trust what Shyam said when he cheated on our daughter and was ready to divorce her without caring for her or the child?" She paused, but Nani didn't answer. "He can do anything and say anything if it means that he can take advantage of or get his hands on money."

Nani again didn't answer as Mami's words started to sink in around us. Because Mami was right. But that doesn't mean that the acquisition was also right.

"And what will you do if you see... that your son is not happy?" Akash's voice came before he entered the room and stood near a sofa to my left with a file in hand. "What are you ready to do if you see that your son isn't really living and isn't being himself because you all, everyone of you, want to decide for him?"

I swallowed as he finished, but I didn't look up. Because I... Chum... was the one who was most responsible for this.

"I know I'm at fault. I know, I'm the main reason the wedding broke because I couldn't give her the only thing she asked for. I couldn't even keep the promise I made with Khushi to always be with Payal, no matter what. Because I chose my family. You. And you all are sitting here trying to blame each other." He shook his head slowly and went upstairs before giving a final glance at Mami.