Chapter 14

The day after the incident, Ayda's mother dragged her to the Brack mansion. Ayda was way too lazy to go but she needed to get closer to Nifsara to put her plan into motion. While in the carriage, Ayda's mother continued threatening her:

"Don't you dare do anything of the sort again. Are you listening to me?"

Ayda continued looking out the window:

"If you pull the same crap again I am seriously going to kill you. Your corpse would be less trouble to me. Do you hear me? They won't find you even if they tried. You will be rotting at the bottom of our lake for all eternity.

-Good luck with that."

Ayda's mother raised her hand but Ayda caught it in the air.

"Let go of me! What do you think you are doing? Are you crazy?

-Oh my, God... I am so crazy... Oh no...

-You! You stupid! Why did you have to get born? I should have killed you when I got the chance!"

Seeing the mansion approaching, Ayda's mother sighed:

"You know what? Don't talk at all. That would be better. Don't you dare say a word. Did I make myself clear?"

Ayda didn't have time to answer because they reached the mansion. As soon as the carriage door opened, Ayda found herself face to face with blue eyes. She got so surprised that she stopped moving for a second and seeing her hesitate, Nifsara extended her hand towards her. Ayda looked down at the hand and stared at it for long seconds. Did she expect her to accept it? Did she want to help her down the carriage? Ayda didn't even see Nifsara for a second and she was already pissed off. Why did she have to be so nice? She just burned her hours before.

Ayda didn't accept the hand and got down by herself. Seeing her do so, Madame Maganti immediately screamed:

"Ayda! What are you doing?"

She turned to Nifsara and smiled before taking her hand.

"Thank you so much. I'm sorry... My daughter is really stubborn. Maybe it's because she never got a suitor but she isn't used to basic etiquette. I should teach her some manners."

Ayda immediately understood what her mother meant. Who was the stubborn one here? Her mother never got bored of that whip.

"It is okay, Madame. I shouldn't have made her uncomfortable in the first place."

Ayda frowned. Yes, she shouldn't have. She should stop pretending to be all perfect and finally start hating her. Why was she being so childish? Couldn't she frown just once?

"Please follow me. I prepared some tea for you.

-Oh, my. How thoughtful of you! Did you hear, Ayda? Such a well mannered, young Lady. Your mother should be really proud."

Ayda imagined how awkward it would be if Nifsara's mother had been dead.

"Unfortunately, my mother is no longer with us."

Ayda couldn't hold back a laugh.

"Oh, sorry. It was just well timed, I... Nevermind."

Seeing Nifsara smile made Ayda immediately lose hers.

"Oh, my! I am so sorry! I should have known. You must miss her a lot."

Nifsara continued smiling:

"Don't worry."

Ayda slowly nodded. Of course the hero's mother would be dead. How many heroes had living mothers? Ayda started wondering what it would be like.

"You can always come to me if you need motherly advice. Since the beginning I have felt that you were like my own daughter."