Chapter 30

Bob quickly became a big part of my life. He followed me everywhere like a baby duck and I had to walk slower than usual (not that I walked very fast because of my ankle), having stepped on him multiple times without wanting to. I tried making him sleep in his own bed, scared that I would crush him during the night but every morning I would wake up to a paw being smashed into my face.

"Bob! You have the whole bed for yourself. Why would you sleep on my face?"

Bob didn't answer and just curled up closer against me. No matter how many times I pushed him away, he always came back and when I woke him up, he would look at me as if I was the one disturbing him.

"Don't look at me like that. I am losing sleep because of you."

I sounded like a parent and I understood why so many people didn't want children. I wouldn't be able to take a lot more nights like that. But I didn't have the heart to throw Bob out of the room. Every time he woke me up and I felt my blood heat up, but when I would look at Bob's adorable face, I would give up.

At the end we found balance and I would sleep in the corner of the bed while Bob slept against my back. I started getting used to him moving and slowly started fading back to sleep. For once I could finally get good sleep when I heard someone knock on the door. My eyes shot open and I thought I would strangle whoever was behind it. I rushed to the door and yanked it open. I found myself face to face with Ephraim. I couldn't help frowning and seeing my face made Ephraim laugh:

"What?

-I am very happy to see you too, my dear wife. I missed you a lot.

-You see me three times a day at every meal.

-Speaking of meals, I haven't seen you this morning."

Having spent hours not sleeping because of Bob, I didn't wake up in time. I had completely forgotten about breakfast because of how tired I was. It was my first time missing one of our meals but I didn't think Ephraim would immediately come up to my room. I was only half an hour late. As usual, he was being over dramatic.

"Does my dear wife need a bit more time to get ready or are we eating here?

-From what I understand, I don't have any say in the matter? We will eat together no matter what and I can only choose the location."

He smiled.

"If you understand, you should hurry up. I have a lot of work today.

-If you have work, then you should just skip breakfast. I am not that hungry anyway."

I was ready to close the door but Ephraim blocked it with his foot. He next pretended to be worried:

"How could my dear wife skip breakfast when he is still sick? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

-I am not your wife."

Ephraim ignored me and asked:

"So, is my dear wife getting dressed soon? Not that I mind seeing you in pajamas."

Ephraim's eyes trailed down on my body before looking back at my eyes. He smirked for some reason and that just pissed me off. I didn't have time to get mad however, because I heard Bob jumping off the bed. He started getting dangerously close to the door. I wasn't ready to let him out yet, scared that he would get lost. I suddenly grabbed Ephraim by the collar before pulling him inside. I immediately closed the door behind him and sighed when I saw that Bob was still inside the room. He looked disappointed and started scratching the door.

I couldn't help laughing seeing Bob so cute but I soon lost my smile. When I looked up, I realized that I was still holding Ephraim by the collar and his face was centimeters away from mine. He looked surprised as well and just stared at me, waiting for my next move. I immediately grimaced and let go of him to take a step back. However, Ephraim didn't let me get very far. He surrounded my waist of his arm and steaded me in place with a smirk: