Chapter 20

It seemed when Ephraim said that he would gain my trust, he meant giving me thousands of gifts. At first I returned them but with one second of inattention, they just started piling up in my room. Being overpowered, I just stared at them, having no idea where to start.

Eulisses couldn't knock on the door and had a very hard time opening it, his hands full of packages. I couldn't help him even if I wanted to because I was being taken hostage by some packages myself. After long seconds of struggling, Eulisses finally managed to push the door open with his foot. He didn't have time to feel relieved because what he noticed next was that there wasn't any place left for the new gifts he was bringing.

He tried finding them a place however. Despite knowing it was meaningless, Eulisses tried piling them on top of other packages. Being way too high and unbalanced, all the packages fell to the ground in a loud thud. In a domino effect they led other gifts into their fall. Eulisses looked at the packages, one still in his hands. He gave up and let the last one fall to the ground with a sight before turning to me:

"Should I bring the next presents to the room next door?

-Because there's more?"

Eulisses seemed to hesitate before he answered:

"Just a few more.

-How many?

-A few...

-Few?

-Dosen?"

I groaled. Eulisses gave me space to let the frustration out. He even looked away to pretend that he couldn't hear me which was nice. Once calmed down a bit, I turned back to him:

"Could you please bring those to the room on the right.

-Yes, Mister.

-Thank you so much."

Eulisses nodded. He bent down to pick up the packages blocking his way out and looked around, as if looking for a place to put them down. He sighed again and just kept them in his hands before struggling to open the door again. At some point the packages slipped out of his hands and fell to the ground. I could swear that he almost kicked them.

"I am so sorry, Mister.

-Nah. You can step on them for all I care."

Eulisses seemed to take my words seriously because he stepped on the package in front of him before opening the door. Seeing Eulisses frustrated made me feel better and I even laughed. That didn't seem to please Eulisses because he turned around with a frown. I pretended to whistle like in the young adult shows but realized that I couldn't whistle at all. Therefore I just pouted my lips while tapping my foot.

Eulisses ignored me and having the door finally opened, he picked up a few packages that he took to the room next door. He came back soon later and seeing all the packages left made his shoulders sink.

"It seems the Duke really fancies you."

I pretended to puke:

"Don't say that. I think he wants to test my claustrophobia."

Fortunately I was a student in my past life and this room filled with stuff reminded me of the dimensions of my old home. It almost felt nice. That was before another delivery got brought over. Seeing the countless boxes, Eulisses seemed to have given up on life as he sat down on a little tower of presents.

I wasn't doing much better either and I looked out the window. Or at least I looked towards where the window last was seen:

"Should I just jump?"