Chapter 23

I didn't have time to answer that Ephraim's face went back to it's amused state:

"I didn't think my dear wife would get so worked up over a few gifts. I wonder what you see me as. Then again it is my fault. It seems I really didn't pay enough attention to you before for you to think so lowly of me."

I could already feel that things would get out of hand. I had to stop that crazy bastard before it was too late:

"No! Don't pay attention to me! You already managed to annoy me! You did! Well done. You can stop now."

Eulisses tried stopping me but I pushed him back:

"You say that you are trying to show me how much you care about me but you don't care about me! You just want to annoy me! I don't want your gifts! Take them back! All of them!

-But darling...

-I am not your darling!

-I just wanted to make you happy... Don't husbands usually buy gifts for their wives?

-I am not your wife!"

Seeing the dark shadow in Ephraim's eyes made me flinch:

"I mean... I... I am your wife but don't want to be! I want a divorce!"

The knights bowed, feeling that it was time for them to leave but Ephraim motioned them to stay put:

"How could you say this... In front of my men moreover. You are really hurting my feelings, Sliske..."

I frowned. Wasn't he the one who didn't let his men leave?

"As if you had feelings... You didn't even put any thought into those gifts.

-What do you mean? I thought I did well. I bought you the best chocolates in the country.

-Exactly! You only bought the best in everything. I am sure that you just asked someone to buy everything expensive. You didn't even try buying something that would make me happy. It's so obvious that it's painful.

-Something that you would like?"

Ephraim seemed confused for a second.

"Everyone likes expensive things.

-Well, I don't.

-That's surprising. Before you couldn't stop buying everything new.

-People change. I realized that those empty gifts didn't mean anything to me in the end."

Ephraim smiled:

"I see. I should have thought about that before.

-I don't know what you just thought about but no! Don't buy any more gifts! Just stop sending me gifts!"

But Ephraim wasn't listening to me at all.

As expected, only a few hours after our conversation, I heard a knock on my door. I thought it was Eulisses bringing another package but it was Ephraim himself. I didn't even have time to scream at him that he placed something black in front of my face. I was so surprised that I took a step back. I needed a second to realize what it really was. Actually it took me such a long time that Ephraim got bored and placed the fur ball into my hands. That was when it hit me:

"A kitten?"

I was so surprised that I forgot to talk for a second. The little tiny creature was so cute that I was immediately absorbed by it. The little kitten had huge green eyes. They were so big that the little baby looked like those huge eyed plushies that I saw everywhere in my past life in gas stations. I immediately felt that I could die for these round eyes. If that kitten told me to jump out the window, I would!