𝐎𝐍𝐄

┏━━━━.˚✧˚₊ ᗢ₊˚✧ ゚.━━━━┓

MODERN DAY ITALY

MARCH NINETEENTH was no ordinary day in the old city of Volterra. Civilians flooded the streets as the sun shone down that morning, donning red cloaks to commemorate St Marcus Day – the day in which St Marcus successfully ran the vampires out of the Italian city for good.

Humans were naive in that way.

Humans like Bella Swan; a girl foolish enough to come to Volterra in the first place to help rescue a vampire whom she considered to be the love of her life, alongside his equally vampiric psychic sister.

Although foolish, the human girl did succeed in her plan, making her presence known to the vampire she loved and prevented him from revealing himself to the crowds of people in the square. Tucked away into the darkly lit hallway of the clock tower, it was then that they reunited with a tight embrace.

.˚✧˚₊

The latest addition to the Volturi guard had heard Edward Cullen's name for the first time merely hours before this, and discovering that he possessed the ability to read the minds of everyone around him somehow made her red eyes shine brightly with interest. Of all the beings she came across in her minimal years of this new life, the Cullen boy was by far the most intriguing. Of course, this fact was not solely dependant on his gift, but simply because he was willing to sacrifice his gift in exchange for death – something her masters outright denied. Her lips quirked upward even thinking about it; how peculiar.

She had know about the commotion in the square almost immediately, partly because she had been tasked with keeping a watchful eye over Edward the moment he left the his meeting with the Volturi leaders. Should he do anything volatile, the young vampire would be the one to send word to the rest of the Guard.

She had practically followed the Cullen boy to the clock tower, and only after she witnessed Edward's reunion with the human girl did she then alert the others. She moved within the shadows and approached the duo, watching as they conversed with one another and found their voices radiated of blind adoration.

Edward Cullen and Bella Swan hadn't even noticed her, too wrapped up within each other's grasp, until her soft voice bounced off the walls of the clock tower's central hallway.

"My, my... what a crazy predicament."

Two heads snapped in the direction of the voice and the duo could finally make out the image of a girl whose face was encased by darkness from the hooded cloak she dawned. The Cullen boy recognized the pendant around the girl's neck right away, and although he hadn't recognized her, he could only assume that the figure standing before them was the newest member of the Guard that many whispered of. From what he gathered on a conversation with his adoptive father years ago, she was merely a young vampire who many speculated had been sired to one of the Volturi leaders; an ancient vampire they called Marcus.

Edward turned to the girl, almost using his body as a shield to protect the human standing next to him when he noticed something was wrong. Not only did she manage to sneak up on a much older vampire, undetected, but the boy couldn't penetrate her thoughts – everything was drawing up a blank. "We mean no trouble, we were just about to leave," he said, staring at her as he tried once more to invade her mind. Before failing once more, he added, "won't you let us enjoy the rest of the festival?"