Rules & Regulations

Soon everybody crowded into the Gym, but before anybody mustered a single word, Monokuma appeared.

"Hahaha!!" Monokuma cackled. "My, my! I forgot to tell you guys something, before you had your little friendship moments. Which was sooo cute! I forgot how cute high schoolers are! Ahh you're making me all flustered! Now, when was that fair?!"

"Shut up and get on with it," Owada hissed.

"Fine, fine. In your pockets, you should have a tablet that has rules!! If you break the rules, there will be a harsh punishment! You should check that first, before you start speaking nonsense about a way to escape or something. Go on! Read it!"

With that, Monokuma disappeared. I placed my hands in my pockets, and lo and behold, there was a tablet in there. I took it out to examine it. It was a simple e-Handbook, and was pretty medium in size. Once I turned it on, my name appeared on screen.

Y/N L/N

"Should we start reading?" I wondered.

"I guess so. Better than standing around anyways," Junko taunted. I nodded wordlessly as I swiped the screen. Rules started appearing on the screen. I decided to read carefully.

Students may reside only within the school. Leaving campus is an unacceptable use of time.
"Nighttime" is from 10 p.m. to 7 p.m. Some areas are off-limits at night, so please exercise caution.
Sleeping anywhere other than the dormitory will be seen as sleeping in class and punished accordingly.
With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore Hope's Peak Academy at your discretion.
Violence against Headmaster Monokuma is strictly prohibited, as is destruction of surveillance cameras.
Anyone who kills a fellow student and becomes "blackened" will graduate, unless they are discovered.
Additional school regulations may be added if necessary.

I looked up from the screen and looked around the room after reading. Everybody wore the same stormy expression on their faces.

"This is bullshit!" Owada hissed. "What kind of rules are these?! I'm not gonna let them control ME!"

"Well then, why don't you wander around the school without a care in the world and see what happens? Personally, I would love to see what happens when someone breaks one of the rules," Celeste mentions, placing a hand over her mouth in utter curiosity.

Owada stayed in complete silence for a moment, before sighing.

"I... Ever since I was a kid, I grew up with my older brother pounding this into my head... When a man makes a promise, he has to keep it, even if it kills him."

Damn. That's a brutal existence. Though, this dialogue is all from the actual game, so maybe I should just let it play out for a moment before adding useless commentary. I do wonder, though, why the game is throwing events out of order. Usually it would be rules then exploring. Did my existence change the plot somehow?

"...So what?" Junko huffed.

"I've made a ton of promises that I still have to keep, that's 'so what'! So I can't afford to die in here!" Owada yelled. His face was red and filled with rage. You gotta feel bad for them--these characters. They all had lives before being trapped here. Must've sucked being trapped here, let alone being forced to kill your friends.

"None of that made much sense to me, but you are saying you will follow the regulations, is that it?" Celeste wondered, her head tilted to the side, seemingly lost in thought.

"Huh? Oh, well...yeah, I guess you're right," Owada agreed, scratching the backside of his neck.

"Hey, um...I have a question. For regulation number six...what do you think it means exactly?" Sayaka asked as she showed us the rule in question: Anyone who kills a fellow student and becomes "blackened" will graduate, unless they are discovered.