The Freak Out

Soon we made it to the A/V room and opened the yellow door. There's little to examine besides the big cardboard box on top the machine in the front. Inside the cardboard box are DVDs. Each with a persons name on in--their motive video.

"...a bunch of DVDs. And each one has a label on it with someone's name. This must be the "video for each of us" he mentioned... I'd better go tell everyone!" Sayaka yells out as she leaves.

"Let's watch our DVDs," I tell Makoto. "I'm curious to see what contents my DVD has in store!"

I sounded...way too happy. But Makoto brushed it off as he grabbed his own DVD. I did the same thing. I grabbed headphones and watched my motive video...

At first, there was a black screen. Then there was a picture...an actual picture...not anime like this world is. But a lively picture of my family. Monokuma's voice started speaking.

"Y/N L/N--the Ultimate Therapist! Look at her family, don't they seem so happy? Happy without her?"

My heart was racing. What was Monokuma trying to say...?

"They don't even know she's gone! Aww what a shame! Maybe they don't care about her after all. Or maybe they don't know their daughters' disappearance! Do they even care? Do they even know about Y/N's disappearence?"

Then the words "figure out after graduation" showed up. My body tensed. Did my family...not care...? Suddenly I heard Makoto scream.

"Wh-What is this? What happened to everyone!? GOD DAMMIT! I have to get out of here. I have to get out, right now! I need to make sure everyone's safe!" Makoto screamed. I took off my headphones and walked up to him.

"H-Hey...it's okay..." I reassured him. I touched his shoulders. He was shaking like crazy, tears were welling up in his eyes. Without much warning, I wrapped my arms around his torso, into a warm hug. Makoto grunted in surprise, but he hugged me in return. "We'll get out of here. All of us. That's a promise I'll make...we won't die. Not on my watch."

Makoto stayed silent. The only noise in the room was his steady breathing and rapid heartbeat. We soon let go of the hug and I gave him a gentle smile.

"Makoto? Y/N?" Sayaka called out. We both turned around and saw everybody at the doorway. "What happened?"

"Wh-What's going on?" Hina wondered. Makoto pointed to the cardboard box.

"Is that what Monokuma was talking about?" Leon questioned.

"What's on them?" Taka muttered. One by one they all watched their own DVDs and it didn't take a long time to react.

"What the fuck...?" Mondo gasped.

"Th-This can't be real, right? It has to be fake, right?!" Hina pleaded.

"Yeah, no way it's real. Haha...no way," Leon murmured.

"I can't t-take it anymore... I c-can't take this anymore! Let me out of h-here!" Toko yelped. Everybody was freaking out or looked panicked...besides Kyoko.

"I see... So this is what he meant by motive. He wants to fuel our desire to leave so that we're more likely to start killing each other," Kyoko mentions.

"It is the classic 'prisoner's dilemma,'" Celeste stated.

"...Huh?" Hifumi gasped.

"Let me use an example. Imagine two countries are on the brink of war. But both countries want peace, and each commits to scaling back their forces as a sign of good faith. But there's a chance that one country may betray the other, so each country fears lowering their guard. The result is that neither scales back their forces and they both end up betraying each other," Celeste explained. "In other words, the fear of invisible treachery becomes the greatest enemy of stability."