Saving A Murderer

I took a deep breath as I opened my door, stepping out into the open hallway. First, I need to figure out how the hell to enter the boy's locker room without being shot by dozens of bullets. Which means I need to find a way to get in without triggering the gatling guns. But borrowing a handbook is prohibited because of that rule Monokuma put in. So that's out of the question.

I guess I should head upstairs and figure something out. And quick. With that thought in mind, I took off running to the gym locker rooms. Once I made it to the locker area, I was standing in front of the girl and boys locker rooms. But how do I get in...?

"Y-Y/N...?" A voice gasped behind me. I turned around and saw him--Chihiro Fujisaki. He was holding a blue duffel bag, looking completely shocked and bewildered to see me here. "What are you, um, doing here? Aren't you supposed to be sleeping? I-It's pretty late..."

I gave him a smile. "I could say the same for you. Were you planning on working out?" I knew the answer, but I needed to pretend I'm not here to prevent a damn murder.

"Um...yeah," Chihiro muttered. "You too?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I was," I lied. "Wanna work out with me?" Please take the bait, please take the bait, please take the--

"N-No...you go on ahead in the locker room. I need to, um, do something before going inside..." Chihiro gulped, looking around his surroundings carefully. I raised an eyebrow and shook my head.

"No, no. You can go first. I need to...ah...grab some water first. I get thirsty pretty quickly while working out," I muttered, hoping that this lie wasn't blankly obvious.

"Y-You can go and do that...I'll go in once you leave."

Chihiro isn't budging one bit...so I guess I'll have to take the more assertive approach to get what I want.

"It sounds like you want me gone. Is that right?" I wondered with an innocent head tilt. "If so, I don't blame you, but I'm not leaving you alone late at night."

A hint of fear flashed in Chihiro's eyes, almost making me feel bad for probably scaring him. Almost. But before I could muster out another word, tears started streaming down his pale face. "B-B-But...I..." His voice was stuttering as his eyes danced around the room in front of him and on me.

"Hey, hey," I whispered as I placed my hand on his shoulder. "Don't cry. I'm here to help, okay? I don't want you to die, Chi-chi. Being alone late at night is dangerous and I'm here to help you. Is there a reason you don't want me here? Take time to answer, I can wait."

Chihiro stifled a few more tears as his watery eyes looked up at mine. He wiped his face on his green sleeve as he started speaking. "Y-Y-Y/N...you can k-keep a secret...right?"

I nodded. "Of course I can. I'm here for you."

He looked up at me with a small smile, though it seemed a bit forced. "U-Um...the truth is...I'm n-not really a girl...I'm a boy. B-B-But please don't be mad that I've lied t-to you! I'm trying to get stronger...I..." His voice broke as he started crying. I wrapped my arms around his sobbing body, which was moving in rhythm to his tears.

"It's okay, Chi-chi. It's okay. Thank you for telling me," I whispered. "I'm always here for you. How about I go into the boys locker room with you? I can help you get stronger."

His tears slowed down as he lifted his head to look at me. "I-I guess so...does Monokuma allow it...?"

"As long as you're the one opening up the boys locker room and not me, yeah, I believe so."

Chihiro smiled weakly. "Thanks for understanding, Y/N..."

I returned the smile. "It's no problem. Let's head into the locker room and start working out together, okay? As friends."