A Job

>>Seraphina

The echo of the slap lingered in the room, startling everyone.

There was a moment of complete silence where even I was stunned as their boss stood with his face to the side. It might have just been the extreme desire to escape that caused me to be the first one to react.

I seized the momentary shock which everyone was in to make my escape. Adrenaline surged through my veins, propelling me forward as I darted towards the exit.

"Hey!!" Of course, all those men ran after me but I just balled my fists and refused to look back.

The door swung open, and I burst into the cool air, gasping for breath. The freedom, however, was only a second long as the sound of hurried footsteps and angry voices echoed behind me.

"Catch her!"

"Don't let her get away!" I sprinted through the building. Since I wasn't knocked out, I knew I was being kept in a basement room and I knew where to go. I ran up the stairs, violently opening any doors I came across and finally I opened the exit door using all of my strength.

There was someone standing in front of it that got knocked to the floor, "You imbecile!" The people behind me yelled, "What did we leave you at the door for!?" The footsteps behind me didn't fade and I ran towards the busy streets in a desperate bid to outpace the looming threat.

The urgency of my steps mirrored the pounding of my heart. I ducked and dodged, eluding the henchmen hot on my heels.

Panic gnawed at my resolve, I can't believe I went ahead and slapped their boss. I'm so dead, aren't I!??

My surroundings became a blur as I sprinted through the streets, being a woman and small played some part in my escape, I was able to go between people more easily as compared to the men following me.

Oh! God! Where do I run to though?!? I don't want them to discover where I live now, or even get close!

Going to my old house would be suicide! Should I go to the police station!?

As if... The police sucks! They didn't do anything when I went to them and told them how I was being forced to take on my father's debt. They didn't do anything when I told them my father had gone missing!

I glanced back.

I couldn't see them properly, they were getting lost in the crowd but I did catch glimpses of them and I knew I hadn't lost them just yet.

I looked ahead, the desperation to escape hung thick in the air when, out of nowhere, a hand came and grabbed me, jolting my body into a violent stop.

What the hell!!?? Fear was the first instinct that took over me, followed by the thought that I had been caught!

NO!

But before I could react, strong hands reached out and yanked me forcefully into the car standing right by the sidewalk.

The world spun in a disorienting whirlwind as the door slammed shut, trapping me inside. My pulse raced at the suddenness of the abduction leaving me stunned and breathless.

>>Lilac

The sharp sting on my cheek reverberated through my senses, and for a moment, the world seemed to tilt on its axis. The audacity of her slap stunned me, a sensation both foreign and electrifying.

I blinked in confusion as she took the chance and ran away. My men ran after her but I didn't move.

No one had dared to challenge me in such a brazen manner before, and the unexpectedness of it lingered in the air.