Kindergarten problem

>>Eris

School is fun. I get to play with so many kids my age. My heart bubbled with excitement, eager to explore this new world of friendship. The air was alive with the sounds of other kids. There was a symphony of joy that filled me with a sense of belonging.

I had never been in a place like this, where there were so many kids and we got to play freely. No one was going to hit us for making noise. No one was going to stop me from playing on the swings.

I didn't have to keep my mouth shut just so daddy wouldn't wake up. There was so much peace here that I wished Sera could enjoy this too. She's always working because she has to take care of me...

I wish for her to be happy too.

I joined a group of giggling girls by the swings, their faces lit up with smiles as they welcomed me into their circle. It's been a few days since I joined this place and the girls are really nice.

They made me their friend fast.

Together, we spun around on the merry-go-round and climbed to the top of the jungle bar, our laughter echoing across the playground like music in the wind. We did some studying in the morning and it was our break time now.

And I really love break time.

"How did you get hurt?" A girl named Mandy asked me when we sat by the stairs after getting tired.

"The home I was living in was on fire." I showed Mandy and the other girls my bandages, "The doctor said I have to keep them on for a little while more because my arms need more healing."

"Oh~" The girls were interested in my talks and that made my heart warm.

There was never anyone who would listen to me before. I always had to stay quiet, especially if daddy was home.

That always made me sad and it was scary.

But as I was telling them about it, a shadow fell over me—a trio of boys, their faces twisted into cruel sneers as they approached.

Before I could react, they lunged forward, their hands gripping plastic cups filled with water. With a wicked grin, they hurled the water at me, the icy droplets splattering across my clothes and soaking me to the bone.

"Hey!!" The girls stood up, "What are you doing!!" Mandy was very angry.

My heart sank as I stood there, stunned and speechless, the laughter of my friends fading into the distance as the cruel words of the boys echoed in my ears.

"Your house caught on fire, so now you've got the water!" Desmond was the boy who stood in front of the others, trying to mock me.

Tears welled in my eyes as the realization sank in— I felt a lump form in my throat as shame and embarrassment washed over me.

"This is why everyone hates you desmond!!" Mandy yelled and Desmond stuck out his tongue for her which made her want to cry as well.

I glared at Desmond. Being small, I was never able to stand up to anyone and Sera always did it for me. A flicker of defiance ignited within me. But Desmond was the same size as me.

With a trembling hand, I wiped away the tears that stained my cheeks, determined not to let their cruel words break me.

Taking a deep breath, I squared my shoulders and turned to face him, ready to attack.

***

Desmond was crying in the office and the teacher was trying to console him while I sat on the chair with my lips tightly sealed. My hair was a mess after fighting with Desmond. I had jumped on him and started hitting him.