Chapter 16

!TW - Anxiety, Injury!

Next to Tao's large terrace there is a lawn. Nick, Isaac and Tao play football while Charlie and Elle sit on the wooden steps to the terrace and watch. Nick is about to take the ball from Tao and slips over Isaac's foot. He falls forward and catches himself with his hands. He lies on his stomach on the lawn for a while meanwhiles Tao and Isaac continue to play, happy and laughing. Finally they notice that Nick is still lying on the grass. Tao reaches out a hand to help Nick up, but Nick doesn't say anything, doesn't move. Charlie gets worried - something is not right. After a while, Nick sits up, legs straight in front of him. He holds his right wrist with his left hand, as if the right one hurts. Which it does. Very painful. But Nick doesn't want to worry anyone, especially not Charlie. Nick stands up and walks towards Elle and Charlie. Elle puts her book down.
"Okay, it looks like a replacement is needed" she says jokingly and runs out onto the lawn to take Nick's place as a soccer player. Charlie thinks Nick should go and sit next to him, get some rest. But he doesn't. Nick instead walks straight towards the door and into the house. At first Charlie doesn't know what to do, should he stay or go after Nick? When something happens to Nick and he becomes quiet, he usually wants to be alone. But Charlie doesn't care about that right now, what if he's physically unwell?

Nick sits at the kitchen table with his right hand lying, resting, on the wooden dinner table. Charlie comes through the kitchen door and sits on the chair next to Nick, kisses him on the cheek. Nick looks sadly down at the table.
"Hey.." he says softly.
"Are you okay?" Charlie asks back, in a worried and stressed voice. Nick looks at Charlie and he immediately calms down just by looking into Nick's beautiful brown eyes. Charlie then looks down at Nick's hand lying on the table. It has a blue, purple color and is swollen.
"Does it hurt?" Charlie asks, in the same worried and stressed voice as before. Nick nods back in response. Charlie looks around for something that can help Nick, when he catches sight of his own bandage. He begins to unwrap his bandage from his arm. Nick looks thoughtfully at Charlie as he does so. The wounds on Charlie's arm are still visible, but well healed.
"What are you doing?" Nick asks. Charlie grabs Nick's right hand and pulls it closer to him.
"Right now you need this bandage more than I do" Charlie replies. He twists the bandage a few times around Nick's wrist.
"charlie you don't have to-"
"Hey, you have been taken care of me, okay? Now it's my turn to take care of you" Charlie interrupts and Nick's eyes start to tear up - he really does have the best boyfriend in the world.