Chapter 16 Party Request

Ke'an is a newly born transcendent and the lowest level of their species. To them he is the equivalent of an infant opening his eyes for the first time. He wields his Administrator Authority with the same skill as a baby trying to pick a bank vault door with a plastic spoon. System understood this would be the case which is why she told him in advance that he would have to force the lock with the life force of as many trees as it took. Essentially they will give a child a grenade and see how it goes. As they expected the forest is alight with hundreds of pillars of fire which burn with an unnatural white flame. The fires all seem to flow almost motionless in the air as if frozen in time creating a beautiful and awe inspiring sight. In this single moment the newborn, Ke'an finally had his umbilical cord cut. He is finally a transcendent through and through.

"I claim the head of kings." Ke'an says in a gravelly croke as his voice finally returns. "Hood and sword."

"Those are the wraiths?" System asks.

"Yes." Ke'an confirms in an inhuman growl.

The change to the environment is instantaneous: a bubble of warmth surrounds the town evaporating all of the snow and ice within it. Azeraath is surprised by the sudden change as he is forced out into the open without the snow to vanish into. More worrying for him is the fact that the two people he left behind have already caught up to him. They are on the dirt road between the small orchard community and the main town. The trees all around are alight with the strange white fire illuminating everything in an unnatural monochrome. Azeraath considered running into the forest to evade his pursuers but the ghostly fire gives him an ominous feeling that makes him reconsider.

"I would have let you live." Azeraath snarls. "Now you all die with them."

Azeraath turns to run down the dirt road, his speed more than a match for Ke'an as they both leave the much slower System behind. Ke'an takes out the second rifle on his back firing it causing the rifle to rupture in his hands. The bullet strikes the ground in front of Azeraath, missing him as he dodges at the last second. The power of its enchantment is supercharged further by Ke'an's Regicide skill. An explosion of white fire sets off in front of Aseraath which blows him back.

Ke'an throws the small remaining portions of the gun to the ground as he charges Azeraath. He runs and pulls out his war machete allowing the blade to scrape along the ground. The rock melts beneath it and his boots which also radiate heat. Azeraath unsheathes his sabre and courses his own magic into the weapon. The faint pained scream of the greater wraith whose body made up the sword breaks the silence before the power of the two warriors collide.

The two swing their weapons in a large arc pouring in magic and might in equal measure. Ke'an's blade swings upward from the ground pulling with it a wave of white hot magma. The wave clashes with the full brunt of Azeraath's attack which came down with the speed and precision of a master swordsman. In the single exchange Ke'an is completely outmatched; the wave of magma is instantly rerouted and he is put on the back foot.

Ke'an finds himself once again on the defensive against a more powerful opponent. Ke'an is fighting with his strength alone while Azeraath is using the added strength of the greater snow wraiths. Once again Ke'an is on a knife's edge and pushing his new agility to its limits to prevent Azeraath from completely overwhelming him. It did not work and soon Ke'an is hit with several slashes which cut through his magically reinforced longcoat as if it were paper. Each slash inflicts a host of afflictions which are not able to take hold because Ke'an is a transcendent.

You have been afflicted with Permafrost. You are a transcendent entity which can not be forcibly altered without significant force from a being of higher transcendence. You have resisted Permafrost.

You have been afflicted with Blood from a Stone. You are a transcendent entity which can not be forcibly altered without significant force from a being of higher transcendence. You have resisted Blood from a Stone.

You have been afflicted with Undeath. You are a transcendent entity beyond life and death. You have resisted Undeath.

You have been afflicted with Binding Forge. You are a transcendent entity which can not be forcibly altered without significant force from a being of higher transcendence. You have resisted Binding Forge.

Ke'an notices a difference in how he and Azeraath fight. Azeraath is more flowing and freeform in his style thanks to his agility, reflexes and dexterity. He moves in a way that Ke'an would never have attempted in a fight, but is capable of doing so to peak efficiency and dizzying speed. To a layman Azeraath's fighting style looks more like a choreographed performance of flips and spins. Ke'an on the other hand takes the time to see the patterns in the motions, even while those motions are currently trying to take his head off.

Azeraath is using his superhuman agility in a manner that is so completely alien to Ke'an's sari'vas forms that he can not pin him down. To Ke'an it is like being exposed to another language of combat. Despite the dire situation Ke'an can't help but enjoy being exposed to such a unique style and one thing pops into his head. Ke'an is first and foremost a thief, one that steals skills and magic. Not since he met System has he seen an ability he wanted so badly that he is giddy with excitement to have it.

Before Ke'an can stop himself he blurts out. "I want it. I don't care what System says when you are dead, your power is mine."

"You think you can kill me, Meat?" Azeraath says as their blades clash. "I want only one thing! Death to those that are in my way. I am Azeraath of the Forge. Remember that as I send you to the grave!"

In a single smooth motion Azeraath avoids several molten rock spikes as they shoot out of the ground towards him. He then jumps with a spin in a blur of motion kicking Ke'an across the face. The fluidity and precision of his motion completely blindsiding Ke'an as he flies through the air hitting the trunk of a tree with a thud. Azeraath quickly moves to finish him off while he is dazed, this time Azeraath's plan is to decapitate him.

Right as the sword swings down for the final cut, System barrels into Azeraath with a flying knee to the side with force amplified ten fold thanks to Ke'an's Regicide spell. A steam explosion sets off as soon as the impact is made, further multiplying the attack. System grabs Azeraaths cloak as he is sent flying, regardless of the disparity in their levels, even he is damaged by the blindsided attack.

Ke'an comes to his senses as System lands next to him with the Greater Wraith Cloak in her hands. She knows even at full strength she would not be able to destroy the cloak. Despite being thin fabric and having the appearance of delicate silk it is actually equally as tough as the greater wraith it is made from. She holds up the cloak and Ke'an pulls out his revolver, surging as much magic as he can into the weapon. In a flash of white flame a hole is burned through the cloak.

System reaches inside of the cloak and with as much force and magic as she can muster she starts to tear the cloak apart to ensure she gets the experience for killing the wraith. The wraith screams in pain as System chips away at the remaining life left in the creature. Soon silver flecks of fabric are all that remain in the air from her and Ke'an's combined attack.

The Tutorial Beta's voice disembodied voice says in Ke'an's head. "Party member System Lock has reached level 11. System Lock is now eligible to join your party; she has gained access to quest menu, skill menu, and inventory (sealed) as long as she is in your party. Party Menu has been unlocked, Guild Menu has been unlocked, Quest Sharing has been unlocked."

You have received request from System Lock to join your party (1/5)

Accept party request (Yes/No)