Part 28

Pepper and Tony were growing closer than ever, it was obvious to Pepper, and she didn't want it to stop. They were having drinks together nearly every night now, and it was becoming something she looked forward to. It wasn't like before, this was something more. She didn't really care if Tony could tell or not, this was for her benefit, and she was loving it.

This is exactly what she had wanted from sending those messages. Yes it was cruel for her to use her assistant like that, but knowing she also had feelings for Tony, it was the perfect opportunity to use them against her. She knew her assistant would never question it, or go against Tony. She couldn't afford to, Pepper knew she was safe, and now it made it all worth it, because it was driving Tony in the direction she wanted, right into her arms, as painful as it is listening to him talk about another woman.

"I think I'm going to try tonight.." Tony tells Pepper, as he stands pouring himself a drink.

"Try what?"

"Talking to her.. I want to make things right.."

"Do you think that's a good idea? I mean.. you've said yourself she's pushing you away.."

"Right.. and the only way I can make her see that I love her is by talking to her.. I need to get to the bottom of it.."

"Tony.. I.." Pepper tried, but Tony didn't want to listen.

"I love her Pep.. and I want to her to understand that pushing me away, will only make me try harder.."

"You're probably wasting your time.. she's stubborn, and won't fall for it.."

"I can only try.. and if I have to fight for her, I will.." Pepper was furious inside, but she gave Tony a smile, trying not to show it. Tony sat down beside her on the couch in his office with his drink in hand. She knew she couldn't do anything to change his mind.. "She's the one Pep.. and I have to make her see that.."

"Sure you do.." Pepper's hand dropped down to his knee.. "Just be careful.."

"Me? I'm always careful.." he smirks.. looking down at her hand..he wasn't sure how to react, but he gave a little tug of his bottom lip..

"I'm gonna go over there now.. have it out with her.."

"What?!" Pepper didn't want him to go.. her plan was fading away before her eyes, it was all going so well, she didn't expect Tony to come to his senses so soon.

"Yeah.. I'm gonna go and see her.. make it up to her.." he quickly stood up, as Pepper tried to reach for him, grabbing his hand to stop him.

Back at home, sitting down with a bowl of cereal, she turned on a film. She wanted to talk to Tony, but something didn't feel right. He was spending more and more time at the office, barely spoke to her, and it was all her fault. She didn't want to push him away, but those messages had for the better of her. She didn't want to think about it, but she couldn't help it. She was scared.

Just 10 minutes into the film. Her phone started ringing, from an unknown number, she decided to ignore it. Not knowing who it was, she didn't want to answer. She didn't want to in case it was Pepper's assistant, giving her more grief.

As she swiped the call off, and placed her phone down again, the caller rang again, and again, and again..  clearly it was someone wanting to get in touch with her, so she finally gave in and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hi.." it took her a moment but she soon recognised the voice.. "It's me.."

"Why are you ringing me?! Got something else you want to share about Tony?!"