63. An argument

RUHANI'S POV

No matter how much I deny, I had missed his singing; his voice used to bring me peace. I wasn't able to sleep for many days after I deleted his voice recording in anger. His eyes and voice when he sang, easily gave away that he was singing that song for me but "Why now?" Was the only question poking my mind again and again.

I looked down, clapping my hand like everyone else; pretending like Jay didn't just sang that song for me. Even Srishti and Ravi bhaiya could see this clearly through his gestures. For once, I was a little upset with Ravi bhaiya as he brought Jay here despite knowing what he did to me but as they say; the world doesn't revolve around you.

Jay being his friend, Ravi bhaiya had all the rights to invite him in his wedding. I am just glad that bhai isn't here but tomorrow, when our families come; I don't know what will happen then. After a few more rounds of the game, everyone got bored and since it was dark outside; it was time to burn some crackers.

Normally, you would found me jumping around at the name of crackers but right now I wanted nothing more than just sleeping in my bed. Yet, I was dragged outside along with others; they wouldn't leave a single person behind. Everyone gathered in the huge lawn, which looked golden only in a few minutes as if stars themselves came down to sit with us all because of the crackers.

All I could see was the bright light surrounding us; Srishti stood right next to me as we both were holding a sparkler (फुलझड़ी) , revolving it in circles. I tried my best to avoid looking at Jay, keeping my focus on my friends only. Little kids were running here and there for absolutely no purpose while holding fire crackers. I took out my phone to click some pictures of Srishti.

"Rooh!!"

But a loud gasp left my mouth when I was suddenly swept away from my feet by Jay, holding my waist with his one hand. He hurriedly brought me to the side, I looked down as my eyes widen seeing the whirlgig (चकरी) which was about to burn my lehanga's boarder. He placed me down safely after bringing me away from the crowd.

His hand still holding my waist as he worriedly scanned my whole body for any injury or burn. He kneeled down, carefully checking if any spark touched my skirt. My eyebrows crashed together as a weird kind of sadness fills me, seeing him caring for me like before. He held both of my arms before speaking.

"Are you okay Rooh? Nothing burns or hurts right? You should have been careful ! You almost stepped on that cracker, dhyan kaha tha tumhara?"

My eyes welled up, for a moment it felt like we went back in time when everything was perfect between us. I didn't even realise how much I missed being cared by him untill now. He was breathing heavily, sweat forming on his forehead as he kept looking at me worriedly.

Suddenly I was pulled in for a hug, my chin crashed against his chest as he rubbed my back soothingly, meanwhile I was shocked at how he even managed to pick me up with one hand.

"I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if I didn't come at the right time..."

He said those words with a great sense of vulnerability, I could almost hear his fast heartbeat; he genuinely looked scared to death. For a second I wanted nothing more than pulling him closer and hugging him back but my hands stopped midway as his previous words echoed in my mind once again.

"Keep your fake concern for someone else."

My words came out colder than I wanted as I stepped back, breaking the small hug looking at him with a deep frown. His glistening eyes stared at mine with disbelief, I could see him clenching his fist tightly. Wasting no time, I walked away making my way inside the empty palace.