Chapter 4

KATE

I've never craved my bike more than I do right now. With everyone at training staring at me like I just committed the hugest crime ever, whispers about me and Callum Slade and so on, I really want to get back on my bike, turn on my music and just evaporate.

As soon as Coach blows the whistle to tell us training is over, I don't wait and basically sprint over to my bike, ready to go away. I don't even mind changing into something else. Some black sport leggings, pink tank top and my usual sambas will have to do the trick. At least the tank top and shoes match my helmet.

I usually ride home together with Liv, she's the one who always rides her bike back to her place so I started tagging along a while ago. Vee also rides her bike, but occasionally. She would rather walk home now. Takes a lot more for her, but she always says she doesn't mind the extra time.

Today, Aaron is taking Liv to the movies after school, so it's only me and my bike. Mom offered to come pick me up, yet I told her it wouldn't be necessary. I needed this. Some time to mull over the choices in my life. Mull over that kiss.

Try to fucking forget it.

I'm putting on my helmet as a very tall something pops up in my field of vision. My body freezes as I spot Callum Slade walking towards me. His brown hair is a bit wet, meaning he might just come back from training. My theory is confirmed by his Colton Hockey League hoodie, matched with some grey sweatpants. He is wearing some dark blue sambas, to go with the color of said hoodie.

I smile at his choice of footwear. Adidas Sambas for life.

"Kate", he shouts at me, as I hop onto my bike, ready to flee.

I even put my foot on the pedal, ready to start putting some distance between me and him, as he comes stand in the middle of the way, forcing me to do a very instant brake to avoid a possible crash. I quickly stumble of it and hit my face in his very hard chest, proving the world just how clumsy I am.

Two large hands come on my shoulders steadying me, and I have to look up to meet his eyes. He was already staring at me.

"Hey", he whispers.

"Hi", my voice comes out with a tremble. The same scent of peppermint fills me in, and I take a step back, needing to escape. Before I do something stupid. Like kissing him again. "I'm sorry", I continue mumbling. "Nice catch."

"Thanks", he chuckles. He rubs his temples, before he takes a very deep breath and goes for it. "Look, I've been thinking. I know I kissed you yesterday, and I'm sorry. Trust me, I don't know what got inside me."

Might be the hormones, but I feel like a dagger in my heart at his words. He only keeps talking. "To make up to you, I was wondering whether I could take you out."

"Uhm, yeah...", I blurt out. "Sure."

"Great", he answers. He points with a finger at my bike. "Is that your ride?", he asks.

"Yes. Wait, what-", realisation hits me. "You mean now?!"

He must be kidding. I need at least a week time notice. Because I need to go over all the possible scenarios that might result from me going out with Callum Slade. Is this a date? Is this a sorry meeting? A pity party? Is he going to kiss me again? Are we even going to find something to talk about? We're so different. Are we going to match?

"I was kinda thinking that if I take you out now, you won't have the time to think better of it and say no", he pulls me back to reality.

How did he know?

"So, what do you say, gorgeous? Care to go out with me?"

Hate him for the little turn ons.

Nevertheless, I give up and dragging my bike next to me, I start following him to his car. Only Callum comes behind me and takes the bike from my hands, starting to carry it himself.