Chapter 30

KATE

Although Cal and I were officially together now, cue the squeal, that didn't mean we were showing it in front of everyone. Sneaking behind closed doors and hidden "I love you" texts were still our reality.

Which is exactly why as Wednesday came around, my heart was beating like a hammer in my chest. Cal and I agreed to meet after school, since he got off training earlier on Wednesdays. Aaron was at training, so Cal would be able to come pick me up from the front door.

We agreed to go over at his house for today. We obviously couldn't meet up at my place, not with Aaron coming in an hour or two, so he offered we'd meet at his. We planned to watch some movies and also bake something, which is why I kept my outfit casual. Baggy jeans held together with a pink bow, a white sweater, my hair braided and my pink sambas. My makeup isn't flashy as well, only the usual blush, some highlights and gloss.

As I hear a car honk, I basically bolt up, suddenly aware of my every nerve and rush downstairs, not stopping til I fly the door open and catch him standing there, wearing a dark blue sweater with a shirt underneath, jeans and dark blue sambas, holding a bouquet of sunflowers in his hands.

"Hey there, gorgeous", he breathes, looking at me like I were something special. I lose it and run over to him, in his arms. He lifts me up and I wrap my feet around his waist as I give him a hello kiss.

"Hey, handsome", I reply.

As we let go, he brushes a strand of my hair behind my ear and smiles at me. Both dimples on. "I fucking won at life", he mutters, before he kisses me again.

My stomach is still facing butterflies at his remark, yet as he puts me down and hands me the bouquet, the butterflies seem to multiply by one hundred.

"You got me flowers", I let out.

Bucket list number 22 complete. Get flowers from the guy I love.

"Sunflowers", he points out. He seems more nervous as he continues. "I know roses are more common for dates and I'm sorry if you would have liked roses better. If you want, we can stop at the florist's on the way, and I'll buy you roses." He takes a deep breath, and I honestly never saw him so nervous before. "But I got you sunflowers because you remind me of sunflowers. You're like the Sunshine, Katie." He takes another deep breath. "And besides, I read that sunflowers symbolise happiness, and that's what you are. My happiness."

"You looked up the meaning of flowers?", I can't believe this guy. Is he real? Am I living in a dream or something? Because there is no way my guy just voluntarily searched what all different types of flowers mean.

"Yeah", he replies, as if it were nothing. "I mean, lilies are nice but they also mean death, which ain't quite date material if you ask me", he chuckles.

"Remind me how is it that you're real again", I say, kissing him. This time as he chuckles, he sounds more relaxed, and as he takes my hand leading me to his car, the butterflies haven't disappeared, yet they come together with a by now familiar warmth and electricity.

~

"That's way too much flour", he tells me as he puts the flour in the measuring cup. I doubt this guy has ever stepped foot in a kitchen before. He looks around like a robot. Or maybe he just has zero experience with cupcakes.

"For someone who has never baked before, you for sure have a lot of opinions", I tease him.

My apron on, flour on my face and on my fingers, I doubt I'm what one would call a ten right now, yet as he sees me, he lifts me up and places me on the kitchen counter, stepping in between my thighs.