Chapter 15

KATE

As Cal parks the car in front of Nelly's, I can still taste him on the tip of my tongue. His scent wraps me around like a fluffy blanket. His eyes are like stuck with glue on me, and for what must be one of the rare times, he never stopped smiling. It's in the corners of his mouth, in his eyes... His smile is gorgeous. I want to keep seeing that boy smile.

"What are we doing here, Cal?", I ask him. We never talked about coming here. Nelly's is that one brunch place in town everybody knows. While there are some new places that recently opened, like Sweetheart Delights or Magnifique, Nelly's has always been here. And it might not serve all the Insta-known stuff, but Nelly, the owner, makes a heck of a good coffee, hot chocolate and waffles.

"I thought we should get you a bit warmed up after the rain", he responds.

"It's still raining", I say, pointing outside. Then, my cheeks red: "And trust me, you really warmed me up."

Cal's mouth twitches into a smirk and he gives me a kiss on my mouth. "I love it when you think like that."

Yeah, he definitely warmed me up.

Nevertheless, he fishes a hoodie from the backseat of his car and hands it over to me. I look surprised at his dark blue hockey hoodie, with Colton Hockey League written on the front, then "SLADE" and number 18 on the back.

I make no sign of putting it on, only stare at it. Cal lets out an amused sigh, explaining: "Baby, it's cold outside."

"You just quoted Dean Martin", I point out with a smile on my face.

"Don't tell me you're into the oldies", he replies, smirk on, as his eyes are locked on mine.

"I wouldn't call them old", I come in my defense.

"Show me your playlist, Katie", he demands. I stare at him confused, blinking a few times like a movie character. Nevertheless, I take out my phone with a sigh. He smirks as he points at the picture of Vee, Liv and I in the phone case. "Cute", he lets out. I offer him a smile then hand over my phone to him, Spotify already opened, the playlist containing my favorite songs.

"Heart of Glass?", Cal begins. I make myself comfortable placing my feet on the chair, and lean against the car door so I can look at him.

"Only the best song ever", I reply.

Cal raises an eyebrow clearly not convinced. Just for the record, that song really is amazing. It makes one feel like the main character in a romcom movie like To All The Boys I've Loved or The Kissing Booth.

"Dancing Queen?", Cal continues, as agreeing as he was concerning the last song.

"Young and sweet, only seventeen", I reply, a smile on my face.

"You're sixteen", he points out.

"I'm sixteen now", I counter.

Sighing, he keeps scrolling. "Your entire playlist seems like a trip through Mamma Mia."

"I am so glad you know that movie."

"No, seriously. Call Me Maybe, Shut Up and Dance, Girls Just Want to Have Fun..."

"The songs are amazing", I let out.

He rolls his eyes amused, then pulls my face closer for a kiss. "You hungry?", he asks me between kisses.

"Starving", I answer.

He kisses me once more before he steps out of the car and comes over at my door. It's still pouring outside, but he takes my hand and helps me out like a gentleman and we run over to the entrance. As we step inside, the familiar dinner tables greet me with the booths. Each couch has velvet coloured leather, a bar where Nelly is fussing around. Nelly, the owner, is like Gossip Girl in person. She knows everything that moves in Blank Valley. Our town might have Mrs. Turner as mayor, but Nelly Diaz is the real heart and soul.