Chapter 11

KATE

In a white crop top, some pastel pink shorts and some white sambas I make my way up the driveway leading to the Chen house. I've been here before, it's only twenty minutes away from my house, if you ride your bike. Probably faster with the car, but I couldn't let such a beautiful day come to waste. The sun is shining and there isn't a single cloud in the sky. I have to charge my Sunshine battery for the upcoming winter.

As I arrive at the driveway, the familiar blue walls and brown roof greet me, plus a Mae already waiting outside on the terrace.

"Kate", she shouts, hurrying to me.

I hop off my bike and lean it against the wall as I rush to greet her. "Hey", I begin. "Thank you for having me."

"No problem", she answers. I see she's already in a black crop top, some grey sweatpants and black sneakers, ready for training. "Mom set up a table with some snacks and lemonade here outside. I was thinking we could take advantage of the sun and train here?"

See, that's why Mae and I ticked.

"That sounds great", I answer. It's then I pull out two trays of cupcakes from my backpack. Dark chocolate fudge, Mae's favorite. And cranberry, Mrs. Chen's favorite. Mae lives with her Mom, ever since her Dad moved out to work in their home state, Singapore. Mrs. Chen and her husband didn't break up, he still comes to visit as often as he can. "For you", I say as I hand the trays to her. "I also made your Mom's favourites."

"Oh my Gosh, Kate, you shouldn't have", she replies, although she knows that no matter how many times she'll tell me, I still end up bringing them something every time as a small thank you for letting me inside their home. She takes the trays and places them on the table, helping herself to a dark chocolate fudge cupcake. "Best cupcake on Earth", she lets out, making me a sign with her hand I can also take some if I want. I shake my head politely. I already had some of the strawberry cheesecake flavoured cupcakes I baked for my Mom. I'm full. "Mom will be so happy", she continues. "She's out at work now, but I'll give them to her as soon as she's back."

I nod, Mrs. Chen being a teacher. She usually has the weekends free, but she sometimes gives piano lessons to kids in town. Today seemed to be one of those days.

Mae then goes sit on the margin of the terrace, and I follow her, sitting right next to her.

"So, how would you like to start our choreography? Should we do a cartwheel to begin the dance? We could also try a -"

She begins but is interrupted by an engine of a car. "You expecting someone?", I ask her curiously.

The startled expression on her face tells me no. "Apart from you? No."

The front car door opens and Trevor freaking Huxley walks outside, smirk on his face. "Hey, baby girl", he greets Mae with a wink.

"Please have mercy", I can hear Mae mutter. I can't hold back a chuckle.

Trevor comes closer, and it's then he notices me too. "If it ain't little Kate Blake."

"Dude, she's literally in the same grade as me", Mae replies, a tiny bit annoyed.

"Yeah, I know", he answers, looking at Mae. Then at me: "Cal told me."

My heart shatters at hearing the name.

Don't flinch, Katie. Don't offer him that satisfaction.

Instead I put on a polite smile and tilt my head. "Oh, really? I didn't realise you two were so close."

"He's like my brother", Trevor replies with a wink. It's then he dismisses me and turns to Mae. "So, baby girl, what are you up to now?"

"Stop calling me that", Mae counters.