Chapter 37

CALLUM

Katie's breath rolls down my chest, her presence taking over my senses like a warm blanket. She's sleeping, an arm around my waist, her head on my chest. She didn't want to go home after the fight with Aaron, so I offered she'd stay with me. Even though my parents really like her, they wouldn't have agreed with me having a girl over for the night, but they are luckily out visiting some friends in New York today, and spending the night over at their place.

I'm brushing her hair, just watching her sleep. She looks so calm, so serene. There is a smile on her face, and I would give anything to see what she's dreaming of. She's tucked in one of my hoodies and a pair of socks, her hair falling messy around her, but she would still beat any other girl with her looks. She's gorgeous.

A soft smile tugs on my lips, knowing she's my girlfriend.

My phone lights up from where it lay on the nightstand. I shift my arm carefully so that I don't wake Katie up, and do my best to hold back the scoff as I see who texted me.

HAWKEYE: I know my sister is with you, Slade.

Just for the record, it wasn't my idea to change his contact name. Henry did it when he stole my phone a few days ago. Yet as I said, it matches. The only difference is that while Hawkeye is a hero, Aaron Blake is the villain of his story.

I fully plan on ignoring him, because I have better things to do, like sleeping, only I can't because it hurts too much to close my eyes from where he gave me a black eye and multiple bruises.

But Aaron Blake doesn't take no for an answer.

HAWKEYE: If you don't bring her back in fifteen minutes, I'm calling the cops.

People would believe it is a joke. Yet for Aaron Blake, it isn't.

Rolling my eyes annoyed, I start texting him back.

ME: She's sleeping.

HAWKEYE: Wake her up.

I bet that Aaron Blake skipped a few classes of human decency.

ME: She. Is. Sleeping.

HAWKEYE: I don't care. Wake her up. I'm with the car in front of your house. If you don't wake her up, I'll start honking.

ME: It's past midnight.

HAWKEYE: Does it look like I give a shit.

A loud honk tones from outside, proving his point. I pull Katie closer to me, who started tossing in and turning.

ME: Don't you dare fucking do that again...

A new honk tones. And a new one. And a new one. Before Katie opens her eyes, and looks panicked around. "Cal, what's happening?", she asks worried, voice still half in her sleep.

Aaron Blake just signed his death wish.

"Your brother, he...", I try to explain, putting it nicely. Only I don't get a chance to finish, for Katie stands up, fishes her jeans putting them on, and takes her pair of shoes.

"Baby, what are you doing?", I ask her, getting out of bed.

"I already got you in too much trouble with Aaron for today", she mumbles. "Or forever, for that matter." A tear rolls down her cheek, one she quickly wipes away. "I bet by now you'd wish you would have fallen for any other girl, one that doesn't make your life hell."

My heart shatters at her words, at how she has to feel. "Come here, Katie", I say, opening my arms for her. She comes closer, and I wrap my arms around her, to keep her next to me. "I wouldn't change being in love with you for the world", I assure her. She looks up at me surprised, and I nod. "Even if it means he'll come here daily and throw a fit, I'd still come back to you every morning."

"I'm so so sorry", she whispers sniffling.

"It's fine", I respond. "It's not your fault."

"But-"

"It really isn't."

A new honk interrupts us, and I roll my eyes, following Katie to the front door. As I open it, I find Aaron waiting in front of it. "You're coming with me, Kate Madison Blake", he orders.

Madison? I give Katie a surprise look, and her mouth lifts up into a smirk for a brief moment, before it gets back cold. Before he can grab her wrist, Katie puts it up in the air, starting to walk towards his car. "Don't you dare touch me."

She hops on the backseat and closes the door behind her, waiting for him to drive her away. Yet Aaron still looks at me, gaze frozen, assessing the bruises on my face. "You might want to get used to them", he hisses. "That's what happens when you touch my sister."

"Your punches don't mean shit", I counter.

He rubs his temple, clearly done with this conversation. "What is it that you want?! Money? Tell me how much and I'll pay the price..."

No punch hurt as much as him insinuating a few bucks will drive me away from her. "For starters, I want you to get the hell off my property."

He's already pulling out some cash, as I stop him. "Keep your money, for I'm not going anywhere. Keep them to buy yourself some dignity, you clearly lack that."

"Stay away from her", he says, emphasising each word. It's then he storms off, getting in the car with Katie and banging the door behind him.

The last thing I see before they disappear in the darkness is a pair of sky blue eyes with tears rolling off them.

~

I couldn't close an eye.

I still can't.

Images of Aaron taking Katie away from me flash through my mind, making it impossible to fall asleep.

I should have fought back. Punched him. But not with Katie there. Not with her looking.

My phone lights up with a message, and I curse once. That's how shit went down today. With one message.

Only this time, it ain't Aaron who texted me.

But Katie.

KATIE: I'm sorry for tonight. Are you okay?

ME: Don't worry about me, baby. Are you okay? Are you hurt?

KATIE: No, I'm fine.

Three dots appear on the screen, before they disappear. Then again. Then they disappear once more. It takes around one minute before my phone lights up again.

KATIE: Still with me?

As if she would even have to ask.

ME: Always.

KATIE: I love you.

ME: I love you too.

KATIE: Try to get some sleep. You need it. You have that big game coming up.

I chuckle, at how even now, she still worries about my sleeping schedule.

ME: You also have the Nationals. Are you excited?

KATIE: Terrified.

ME: You'll win it. My girl is a badass.

KATIE: I hate to break it to you, Cal, but your girl is currently close to throwing up from nerves.

KATIE: Not such a badass move.

I suck a breath at the idea of Katie hurting.

Before I know it, I find myself calling her phone, although it's clearly late at night. Too late.

"Hey", she picks up at the first ring though. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah", I reply hoarse. "I just wanted to hear your voice."

I don't have to be next to her to see the soft smile tugging on her lips.

"And by the way, you're always a badass", I quickly add.

The chuckle on the other end of the line is enough to bring Sunshine to the darkest days.