Chapter 18

KATE

Sports Day. The day everybody has been waiting for. To celebrate this special occasion, Mom drives Aaron and me to school. He is already in his basketball hoodie with our family name on the back, I'm in my cheer uniform. I have a pair of black leggings, some sneakers, a white sports tank top and a pink define jacket in a bag, for after our performance when I'm planning on exploring the other stands and activities with Vee. Aaron told me Liv took the day off since she wasn't feeling good. As I called her afterwards, she seemed alright to me, which only raised my concern.

"So, Liv isn't coming?", I ask him again.

"No", he replies, the sound coming restraint. Cold really

"Because she is sick...", I add, trying to fish information out of him.

"I already told you this, Kate", again Aaron. "That's what she told me yesterday."

"So you knew she wouldn't be coming from yesterday and didn't thought you should tell me?", I almost shout.

"Oh, I didn't think what happens between me and my girlfriend is your business", he bites back.

"Aaron", it's Mom who stops him now. "You know Olivia is Katie's best friend. Of course she gets worried about her."

"Yeah, and I'm her brother. And Olivia's boyfriend. And she won't be there at the game, like all the other girlfriends, and she said she will..."

"Stop", I cut him short. "If Liv is sick, then you should rather feel more concerned about her health than your ego."

I cover my mouth as I register what I just said. I have never said something like this to him. I'm usually nice to him. I'm always nice to him.

It was just the way he saw near to zero concern about her health that infuriated me. Especially since she clearly isn't sick. Or didn't seem to be.

Something else happened and he didn't even notice.

"Kate", Mom says. "Don't say something like that. Of course he's worried about her. Apologise to your brother."

"No", I let out.

Mom raises an eyebrow at me in the rear view mirror but I don't change my mind. It all simply got too much. The way he's the one in the way between Cal and I dating, the way he acted to Liv... "No", I repeat. "He's the one who needs to apologise." I turn to look at him, a strange new icy glare in my eyes. "And I don't care if you don't apologise to me. Better do it to your girlfriend."

"I did nothing wrong", he doesn't stray from his belief.

"In that case", I say, turning to face the window.

Neither of us says anything else on the way.

~

As we arrive at Sports Day, I find Vee in the parking lot, already waiting for me.

"Hey", she greets me, yet a confused face expression comes on her face as she notices my hurry to get away from this car and Aaron. "You okay, babe?"

"I'm fine", I spit out the words. Vee throws out the empty can of Coke in her hand inside the nearest trash can and leads me away from the parking lot.

"Did anyone say something?", she asks, not letting this go. She also rolls up the sleeves of the black hoodie she matched with some grey sweatpants and sneakers. "I won't mind dropkicking a few people. Could make this morning less boring."

I glare at her. She chuckles. "Not your presence. That's the best part of my morning. By the way, less pink", she points out.

I sigh. I really wanted my pink. "I needed to wear the cheer uniform." The bow I used at my ponytail and the sambas were the only pink I managed to sneak in. "Don't worry. It will get more once I'm out of these clothes."