Chapter 28

KATE

Vee, Liv and I enter the house as a pack. With me in the middle, their arms through my elbows, we look matching in our short Santa dresses and matching hats.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Halloween.

"It looks even better than last year", I let out excited. The house was transformed into every one's Halloween party dream. Fake bats hanging from the ceiling, a fog machine setting the mood, an XXL dark chocolate machine where you can cover jelly eyes... It only gets better as we arrive in what must have been the living room, where the furniture was removed and a huge dance floor was installed, with a DJ booth, music slamming through the walls of the house. I'm surprised the neighbours haven't come yet. But then again, this party is so famous, the neighbours go extra at a hotel for the night each time.

A bar in a corner offering drinks, with and without alcohol, a bunch of snacks on the table to prepare us for the pizza that will later be ordered. Everyone is wearing their costumes, a bunch of skeletons, cats, witches and what not. I spot of group of girls that came as minions, and can't help but smile.

However, not being biased at all, our costumes look the best. By far.

"Selfie time", Vee announces, taking out her phone. We all smile in the camera, before we start making faces or kissing each other's cheeks.

Our impro photoshoot is interrupted by what must be a Greek god. Because Arthur Davidson came dressed as Apollo himself, his blonde hair sprayed golden and with a small crown, a tunic that rather reveals his worked out chest then covers it, and some sandals. "Ladies", he greets us, kissing our hands. I quickly take it away, since the only lips that feel right on my skin are Cal's.

"Are you enjoying the party?", he plays host, all while eyeing us out. At least he has the decency not to do it as much at Liv, who is the only one with an official boyfriend. Not to mention he is the captain of the basketball team, Arthur's favorite.

"We just got here", Vee answers cold.

I roll my eyes at her exhausted, then smile politely at Arthur. "Yes, thank you so much for having us. It looks even better this year. I don't know how you do it."

"Generous donations", he answers, a not so subtle hint at his parents' money. "I saw you were taking photos", he continues. "May I give you a tip: there is a Photo Booth in the study."

Okay, maybe the tip did help.

"Thank you so much", I answer. I plan on leading us away from here, as Arthur's voice stops me.

"I do hope to see you again later, Kate."

"She's busy", Vee barks. Then, with a smirk as she sees his disappointment: "Thank for having us though."

Arthur clears his throat, before a smug smirk returns on his lips, attempt number two at flirting with me. "Of course", he adds. Then, with a wink at me: "See you around, sexy."

"Ugh", Vee scoffs as we make our way through the dancing crowds to reach the Photo Booth. "Guy can't read the room."

"It's fine, Vee", I tell her, squeezing her hand. "Let's go take some pictures."

Ten minutes later and a dozen photo strips in our hands, ones that we quickly place in Vee's black small bag she is carrying with our phones, a chewing gum pack and some just in case condoms, we head back to the dance floor.

"Want something to drink?", I shout, trying to cover the music. Vee shakes her head, as Liv answers: "Maybe a Coke".

I nod and tell them I'll be right back, then walk over to the bar. Only I obviously can't do that, for someone takes hold of my wrist on the way and a familiar scent of pine trees that is now mixed with a hint of alcohol greets me.