Chapter 33

KATE & CALLUM

KATE

"Miss Blake, Miss Chen", Coach's voice tones all the way from the other end of the sports hall. Outside is pouring with rain, so we had to train inside today. "Mind if we share a word?"

Mae and I exchange a side-eye before my friend blows the whistle to show the end of training and we walk over to the teacher as the girls start walking away in groups of two and three.

I have no idea how the months passed so quick. Between studying my ass off for exams, losing my mind over how in love I am with Callum Slade, stressing that Aaron might find out, trying to spend as much time with my friends as I can and training the team, it all feels like someone pressed fast-forward on a movie.

"Yes, Coach", I respond for the both of us.

She seems to actually be happy with what she's about to say, hence why I'm panicking.

"You've been selected to compete at Nationals", she almost shouts.

"What?!", Mae and I exclaim at the same time. The Nationals was every cheer squad's dream. Only the best fifty teams competed against each other in a final determining the best cheer squad in the country. Finals were at the end of April, but thinking about it, it was nearly not enough time. We had to speak to team, and create a whole new choreo, and we had to train for different types of music, and we...

"Breathe", Mae whispers in my ear, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze. Then, turning to our teacher. "Thank you so much, Ms. Bentley. It would be our pleasure."

"I'm so proud of you, girls", Ms. Bentley blurts out. "I knew you were going to be amazing cheer captains the first time I saw you, but this... I'm so very proud."

Something in my chest tightened at her words, my cheeks flushing pink.

"Are you going to celebrate?", I ask Mae as we're only the two of us in the locker room. Everybody already left minutes ago, we stayed longer for the conversation with Coach.

"I don't know, I might", she replies shrugging. She takes off her cheer uniform to put on a nice black dress and some sneakers. As she sees my confused glance she answers: "Trev got out early. We're going out." A smirk tugs on her lips. "I guess I'll take advantage of the good news. Might even get me some celebratory orgasms."

"Mae", I let out disgusted. Trevor being Cal's friend, we started hanging out more together these months. Cal, Mae, Trevor and I even went on a skating double date a few weeks ago, one we'll for sure have to do again sometime.

"Ask Callum, I'm sure he'll help with that too", she winks at me.

I regret the day I started telling her about my love life.

Just as choreographed, my phone starts ringing.

Cal.

Mae brushes past me, sneaking a glance at the Caller ID. "Speaking of the devil", she chuckles. I offer her my best attempt at a death glare, but it doesn't quite work for the smile on my face thinking about how I'm about to hear his voice.

What I wasn't expecting is to hear his worried, pained voice. "Hey, babe. What are you doing now?"

"I'm on my way", the words blurt out of me, although I have no idea what's going on.

~

CALLUM

Music blasting in my headphones, I make my way to my car. It's raining harder than ever outside, and I'm thanking Mom inside that she insisted I take a jacket. Stubborn me said a bit of rain won't melt me, but this isn't just a bit of rain. The clouds are so grey, I'm pretty sure a storm is brewing.