Chapter 38

KATE

As the day of the Nationals came, I could feel the nerves up in my neck. Cal hasn't talked to me ever since that day. He wasn't at school either. As I asked Henry a few days ago what happened, he said his parents were keeping him at home until his bruises healed.

However, I did spot him around campus. At training. At the gym.

Yet so was Aaron. Always with me. Not once leaving my side. Making a meeting between Cal and I impossible.

"You're doing great", Trevor's voice pulls me out of my thoughts. He's at Mae's side, him having come today to be there for her. Although we're still in the locker room, Coach giving us a pep talk, Trevor was allowed to stay with us, his hands around Mae's waist, making no sound, his lips sunk in her neck.

My heart aches at seeing them. It's not that I'm not happy for them. I truly am. It's just that I wish someone were here.

Someone who definitely won't come, for there are too many people breathing down my spine. My whole family is here. So are Liv and Vee, who are standing along them in the stands. Even Isla came to be here for me.

Nerves fill my stomach, and I suddenly feel the food I had at breakfast threaten to make an ugly reappearance.

"Remember, focus", Coach's voice pulls me out of my trance. "You got this. You got this far all based on your talent. You can do this." She looks at the worries in our eyes. "And even if it won't work, you have to understand where you are. Finals. Nationals. That's something to be proud of."

She nods once, looking at her watch. "We still have half an hour til we begin. I'd say we can meet in twenty back here. You can go to your families or choose to remain her in the meantime."

We nod, Trevor sneaking a glance at his phone, before a smirk tugs on his lips. "Mae, want to go to the stands?", he asks her. His eyes then slide on me. "Kate, care to join us?"

I don't know when Trevor Huxley and I became friends, but I have zero problem with it.

"If that would be okay", I say looking at Mae, silently asking her if she'd want me to come. I would hate to third-wheel them.

"Katie, of course", she replies, smile on her face. The three of us stand up and walk out of the locker room, heading towards the stands. The huge stadium started filling up, parents, families and friends of hundreds of cheerleaders from all over the country. The finals happen in Washington, so we had to drive five hours, all to arrive here. However, we still had it better than other teams, coming all the way from LA.

As we arrive close to the stands, I am greeted by my running best friends, who don't stop til they have me in a hug. "Katie", Vee and Liv say at once. I see they are both wearing the Colton hoodies, Vee matching it with a black skirt and some boots the same color, Liv with some jeans shorts and sneakers.

"I still can't believe you're here", I let out, pulling them closer to me.

As we let go, they smile at me, yet we are quickly interrupted by someone talking loud.

"The fuck are you doing here, Slade?", I can hear my brother ask.

My head snaps at that, my gaze quickly looking for my boyfriend. And there he is. Six feet two of devastating beauty, he walks over to me, a smirk on his lips as he notices me. I see him also wearing the Colton hoodie, some baggy jeans and sambas. He seems oblivious to the fact that from the moment he entered, he got every girl's gaze on him, the girls admiring him like a shiny new toy ready to play with. Only Cal doesn't even acknowledge them, only looks at me, as if I would be the only one in the room.