Chapter 32

KATE

When I pictured our date, I wouldn't have thought I'd end up eating dinner together with Cal and his parents, hearing stories about baby Cal eating sand at the beach, but I honestly have zero problem with what the date ended up to be.

Do I regret not finishing the movie with Cal? Yes, I do. Is my heart aching because I can't kiss him anymore or go back to our other activities of the day because his parents are present? Absolutely. Do I feel underdressed at the dinner table and feel like I'm making a bad first impression in Cal's hoodie, a hickey on my neck I try to cover with my hair, many more souvenirs from earlier hidden under said hoodie? Heck yeah.

But am I having fun? Yes.

Only a few hours in and I already know a few things about Barbara and James, Cal's parents. First of all, they love to tease their son. Otherwise they wouldn't have told me about him going as a dinosaur for Halloween in eighth grade, him pretending to fight a non-existent mountain lion with a stick when they once went for a hike, or the named sand story.

"He'd even make them look like a cake before he'd eat it", Barbara continues. "What can I say, he loved sweets and pastries from a young age?"

Huh

"Mom", Cal tries to stop her. "Would you like more mashed potatoes? Or salad? Or anything that will keep you from scaring away my girlfriend?"

My cheeks blush at how the term 'girlfriend' rolled off his tongue.

"But we were only having conversation", she doesn't back down. No doubt where he got his humor from. Truth is, his Mom also looks most like him. Same brown hair, chocolate eyes... His Dad's hair is black and he has green eyes. But they have the same nose. "Isn't that right, Katie?", Barbara asks me.

I nod, smiling politely. "Please, do continue", I add. "I really do enjoy the stories."

Cal sighs exhausted, giving me a look. I only smile back at him, giving him an air kiss. Barbara looks at us dreamy, before telling her son. "I like her, Cal. I really do."

"I'm glad to hear that, Mom, because she ain't going anywhere."

Talk about butterflies.

"See, James. First girl he brings home, and it's a success."

I'm the first girl he ever brought home? I mean, I know he hasn't actually seriously dated before me, but I didn't expect to be the first girl he's ever bring home.

"Sure is, Barbs", Cal's Dad agrees. Then, looking at me. "We're really glad to have you here, Katie."

"No, I am the one who is thankful to be here", I quickly counter. "Thank you for having me inside your home. It is very lovely. And the food...Delicious."

"I heard you are a baker yourself", Barbara continues, offering me a polite smile. "Saw the cupcakes in the kitchen too. They look amazing. You really are talented."

"Katie is the best", Cal agrees, unleashing another few butterflies.

"I'm trying", I admit. "I love baking, but I can't call myself a pro."

"Nonsense", she counters. "Those cupcakes tell another story." She winks at me saying: "Katie, you must come over again soon. And next time maybe you can teach me how to make those cupcakes. I've been trying to learn for a while, only none of those recipes tasted as delicious as yours."

"Mom", Cal lets out exhausted. "They were supposed to be for dessert."

"And what did you expect me to do? See some amazing looking cupcakes on the kitchen counter and just walk past them. I'm sure Katie doesn't mind." Her gaze turns to look at me. "Do you mind, sweetie?"

"Of course not. I'm glad you liked them, Mrs. Slade", I answer.

"Barbara, please. Mrs. Slade gives me a complex", she jokes.

Cal is so close to take me away from here so that his parents can't embarrass him any longer. I see his cheeks flushed as he keeps giving me sorry glances. I offer him one telling him it's fine. I really like his parents.

"You can have as many cupcakes as you'd like, Barbara", I tell her. "You too, Mr. Slade", I quickly add to Cal's Dad.

"Same counts for me, Katie", he chuckles. "James." I offer a nervous smile, before he turns to look at his wife. "Did you hear that, Barbs? I'm bringing those good cupcakes."

"You do that, honey", she encourages him as he's already walking to the kitchen. She then stands up, rushing after him. "You know what, I'm coming with you. Don't want my son giving me death glares for eating his girlfriend's cupcakes", she teases Cal.

As the two disappear, Cal comes closer to me, brushing a strand of my hair off my face. "Sorry about them. They're just excited to have you here."

"It's fine, really", I assure him. "I'm glad I got to meet them. Your parents are so nice."

"But also very direct."

"Yeah, that too", I chuckle. It's then I ask him the one thing I have been mulling over all this time. "Is it true I'm the first girl you brought home?"

"First and only", he replies, kissing my lips. "I've told you you're the only girl that will ever matter to me. The only one I'll ever love."

"You're so sweet when you're romantic", I tell him, blushing above both cheeks at his confession.

"Don't tell anyone or it will ruin my reputation", he teases.

"I won't", I am quick to reply. "Maybe I like having you all to myself."

"Glad the feeling is mutual", he seals it with a kiss.

We pull away as his parents return in the dining room, but that doesn't mean Cal's gaze wonders off me or gets less heated. I can feel him looking as dinner continues, and that gaze...

It holds nothing but love and promises.