3| Inayaat

🪷 Tere naina, has diye
Bas gaye mere dil mein, tere naina 🪷

🪷 Tere naina, has diyeBas gaye mere dil mein, tere naina 🪷

"Mangetar hai meri." The words left Ranbir's mouth before he could settle the debate going on between him and his inner self.

She's my fiancée.

The girl wasn't wearing any sindhoor or mangalsutra. There were no signs of her being a married woman. In a small town like theirs, women didn't miss wearing those things. He couldn't have said she was his wife so the next best thing that he could think of was fiancée.

Vermilion, Nuptial necklace.

His sentence caused another round of whispers to break out of the crowd. They still weren't convinced weather the relation between them was anything acceptable.

The crowd wasn't wrong in their judgment either. The two of them did just spend a night alone in an abandoned place which is far away from their home. Everyone knew of Ranbir. He was not only a politician but also a landlord and although the man was clean by character, rumours fly high. People often assume him to be a cheat, casanova, liar and what not just because of his profession. They would talk ill not only about him but also about the girl standing behind him who was already going through a lot.

"Mangni hona koi those rishta nahi hota, sarpanch ji." A man from the crowd said.

Engagement isn't a concrete relationship, sir.

"Aaj hai, kal nahi. Jagirdar ho ya nahi, in logo ne galat kiya hai." Another voice said from the large crowd.

It's on today, might get called off tomorrow. Landlord or not, they've done a wrong deed.

"Zaaban sambhal kar baat karna. Ek lafz bardash nahi karunga mai iske khilaf." Ranbir warned, looking towards the crowd. He felt her hand's grip on his shoulder in an attempt to calm him down. He felt a jolt of electricity at her touch.

Watch your mouth. I won't tolerant a single word against her.

"Maaf kariye Randhawa Sahab par inki baat galat nahi hai." Sarpanch said with his hands clasped together.

I'm sorry Mr. Randhawa but they aren't wrong.

"Aap ye kya baat kar rahein hai. Hum mere ghar jaa rahe the. Raaste mei gaadi kharab ho gayi aur upar se ye baarish. Hame panah lene yahan aana pada." Ranbir said giving an explanation to him.

What are you saying? We were going to my place. The car broke down in the middle of the road and the rain added to our troubles. We had to come here to seek shelter.