twelve

I was running down the hallways trying to get to my last class

I was running down the hallways trying to get to my last class. I was already late because my Chemistry teacher thought it would be a great time to discuss Ashton's improving grades with me and even though I felt great that my tutoring was helping him in class, I was really late and he didn't even bother to write me a note. I entered my English class, moments before the second bell rang, sitting in my seat only to be joined by Ashton a few seconds later.

His hand was wrapped up the same way I had left it and and he attempted to cover it up with the sleeves of his grey sweatshirt. His black skinny jeans were tighter than mine and the bruise on his cheek was healing while the bruises on his temple were hidden by his hair.

It wasn't until Ashton nudged me in my side that I noticed the other boy standing in front of the table.

"Charlie, hey," I giggled awkwardly.

"Hi," he looked at me funny before walking away and sitting with some guy on the other end of the room.

"He's pissed off."

Oh Ashton, how observant of you.

"Yeah, no shit."

"Wow, you're no fun in school," he grumbled.

"Can you like, oh, I don't know, leave?" I fired back.

It had been 15 minutes since class started and since the teacher wasn't here yet, the students began to leave. Ashton got up and stretched, his shirt rising a bit to give me a clear of the purple bruises on his stomach which disappeared under his shirt.

"Um, what do you think you are doing?" I asked.

"Um, I don't know, ditching?" He mocked, pulling me with him as he walked out of the class. 

"You might not care about your education, but I do."

God, I was such a nerd.

"This is literally the last class of the day and the teacher is so not going to show up so really, I'm wasting my time here when I could be saving the world," he rambled on.

"Are you high?"

"Yes," he answered honestly.

"That was rhetorical..."

"Oh, come on."

He dragged me out of the school and soon enough I was back in front of the ice cream shop from last week, only this time no physical violence was involved on the way here.

"That looks disgusting," I said, gesturing to his ice cream that was basically cake batter, vanilla and a hint of fudge.

"Um, I'd like you to know that your opinion isn't appreciated so please do yourself a favor and shut up," he giggled, snapping his fingers in a Z formation.

This was such a good change from his usual, I'm-too-cool-for-you attitude. I kinda like stoned Ash better than his normal self.

Plus, that giggle was fucking adorable.