seventeen

"Are you gonna be there tomorrow?"

"Be where?" I asked, moving around in Ashton's arm to reach a comfortable position.

"The party," he said, removing his arm that was draped across my midsection to pull me closer, effectively stopping me from shuffling around in his bed.

"Can you stop? I'm trying to get comfortable here. God knows the amount of bacteria underneath me, when was the last time you washed your sheets? No wait, did you wash your sheets after the last time you had sex here? I swear if I've been sleeping on top of baby Ashton's all this time..." I rambled, trying (and failing) to ignore the sparks shooting through my skin everywhere he touched.

"You were moving, in front of my body, against my body...." He trailed off, doing this awkward hand gesture, pointing downwards.

I felt the familiar warmth spread through my cheeks as I tried to conjure up an appropriate response to that.

"Oh."

He laughed before closing his eyes and murmuring, "Goodnight."

****

"I'm thinking red crop top, with black shorts," Emily said, rifling through my closet for "party appropriate" clothes. She was already dressed in a blue dress that clung to her body like second skin. She had done her makeup and everything while I was still in my pajamas, watching reruns of Gossip Girl.

What? Chace Crawford is beautiful, okay?

"I don't even own red, or shorts. Honestly, Em, you call yourself my best friend?" I fake gasped, pulling off my pajamas and wearing a plain white top and some black skinny jeans from my chair that has a majority of my clothes piled on it.

We all have that chair.

Emily did my makeup which consisted of eye liner, foundation and some dark eye shadow, paired with a light shade of lip gloss.

"Okay, now for the final touch..." she went to her duffel bag and pulled out a bottle of wine that I'm presuming she got from her mother's secret stash and gulped down and few mouthfuls before passing it to me.

"Very smooth..." she trailed off, pretending to roll the red liquid around in her mouth before giggling and sputtering some out.

I mimicked her and we ended up almost finishing the bottle when we heard Charlie pull up in my driveway, and the doorbell ringing a few seconds later.

****

The whole house seemed like it was shaking as Emily and I made our way amidst the crowd of sweaty teenagers. By the time I had reached the kitchen to get myself a drink, I had lost Emily to one of her cheer friends and rather than getting pissed off about her ditching me two minutes into the party, I escaped through the back door located behind the counter, snagging a bottle of clear liquid from a shelf, praying it wasn't plain soda.