Chapter Five

It wasn't the sun breaking through the slits of the wall that awoke Evelyn, nor was it the sounds of animals rustling or water lapping at the base of the cliff what woke her. It was the long forgotten feeling of a strong arm pulling her into a firm body and the small puffs of warm air landing on her forehead that pulled her from her light slumber.

She couldn't help the anxiety building in her, once again faced with a strange situation. Never had Evelyn woken in a bed next to a stranger, she had only woken with past lovers and if she was ever wild enough to go out for a one night stand, she made sure to never stay the night to avoid situations like this.

Even knowing that nothing sexual had gone down between the two last night, she still felt awkward. Perhaps from the intimate position and hold they held on each other was what nerved her and that fact this man is a perfect stranger, a fact Evelyn naively, continuously forgets.

Her groggy eyes peeled open, the dark room making her eyes feel at ease and she glanced around. The twitch also arose Angus from his slumber and Evelyn was met with the captivating dark brown eyes boring into hers. A small smile graced Angus' lips as he looked up on her, the girl with black wild hair, and the curls sticking up on all ends.

"Good morning," Evelyn spoke shyly, lowering herself back down and hiding her face in the material draped with the majority over her body from Angus' command. As she hid her face, it slightly pressed against Angus' hard torso and he tightened his grip on her holding her in place against his body, where she belongs in the proximity of his protection.

'Ghnmornhng.' Angus spoke, his raspy morning voice mixed with his lack of knowledge and pronunciation making his greeting a string of in cohort letters. Evelyn couldn't help the small giggle from leaving her lips at the sound and Angus found one of his new favorite sounds as she laughed.

"You tried,' she teased, poking his hip with her spare finger. Angus let out a content sigh and pressed his face into the crook of her neck. During the night he had tangled their legs together and after repositioning himself, his whole figure was practically crushing the small girl beneath him.

"Angus, you're crushing me." Evelyn said, laughing as she poked the half sleeping man's hip again. Angus has always been one to rise bright and early, as soon as his eyes usually open after his sleep he would be up for the entire day not being able to fall back asleep but it was different now. He craved sleep, he craved the comfort of sleeping beside the girl he was in charge of protecting and keeping safe.

Angus was too busy loving the feeling to pay much attention to her, but he shifted his weight pressing himself harder against Evelyn.

"Angus," Evelyn laughed now rapidly poking his hip.

'Shhh,' he hushed her but grunted at a particularly hard jab.

"You're crushing me." Evelyn repeated, smiling from beneath him as his eyes peeled open. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he didn't recognize the work 'crushing'.

"This hurts." As soon as the word left her mouth, he flew off her small body, watching her take in a deep breath that he'd deprived her of. Guilt flooded him as he now hovered above her, his strong arms making him hover above her body, his eyes now wide awake and boring into hers. He was glad she was still smiling and not truly hurt from his actions and he mentally scolded himself to be more careful with her. His life he's grown up with the sense of danger and roughness and he continuously forgot how fragile and smaller Evelyn was than him.

A small grumble from her stomach had Angus falling from his thoughts as he peered down on Evelyn, still not having moved his body from hovering over hers.