Chapter Twenty Nine

the song makes me sad

please hear Gus out :)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Evelyn felt numb. She was still standing in the doorway to the apartment, the unusually cold air nipping at her skin as she observed anything but the man in front of her. His eyes were flooded with guilt and hurt as she couldn't bear to touch him, to even look at him. Her mind couldn't help but flash with thoughts of what they did and it made her sick to her stomach.

"I, Evy." Angus' voice cracked. He took a small step forwards but retreated immediately when he saw his Evy take a small step away. She couldn't look him in the eye and any time she looked up and saw his torn face, her heart shattered all over again.

"Please," his voice pleaded. It was husky but not from sleep, no he was fully awake now. It was husky because his throat was closing over from being choked up and emotionally guilty and scared. His eyes filled with tears and he found himself growing frustrated at himself.

"I need to go," Evelyn whispered. She needed time, time to think and time to process what went on. Angus has cheated on her. He had slept with another woman, but she couldn't really blame him. She wanted to hate him but she couldn't. She couldn't bring herself to.

Never once had the two discussed their relationship, they never made themselves exclusive and never gave themselves a label. Technically, he was free to sleep with anyone he wanted but it still tore her into millions of pieces. Evelyn was stupid, she kept forgetting that their relationship wasn't normal. Angus didn't know any relationship rules usually left unspoken because they were usually gained by observation, TV shows and books. He showed so much affection that Evelyn didn't think cheating was a possibility. But it was, and with someone who looked the complete opposite to her. She was only female, Evelyn had her insecurities and the girl she saw leaving was gorgeous, apart from unusually small nose and a few small spots on her face but it was such a minor flaw that it didn't even matter and anyone would look past it.

To top it off, he was drunk too. It was such a poor excuse, but it was one never less. He had never been drunk, never been under the influence of alcohol and never knew the effects of decision making it has on you.

"Evy, no." Angus desperately pleaded straight away, his eyes snapping to hers. "I'm sorry. Don't leave me." His eyes felt sore and he blinked to rid the water filling them.

"I need time Gus, I'm sorry." Her voice broke.

She wanted to hate him, she honestly did but she couldn't. She turned to leave but was pulled back into a warm body. She fought it, she squirmed and tried to push him away but it didn't work. He was to strong and he was desperate for his Evy to stay with him. He wanted her to stay, to explain and to apologize to make her to smile.

"Angus, let me go." Evelyn sternly tried to say, but her voice ended up breaking. A tear leaked from her eyes and her breathing was rapid. Uneven breaths left as she tried her hardest to contain her emotions but as he tightened his grip on her, she lost it.

His embrace was so warm, so comforting and so familiar she felt safe but at the same time she was repulsed. She thought herself to be weak, being comforted by the thing that hurt her. But she stayed in his arms and cried. He stood there and soaked in her touch, fearful it would be the last time. They both clung onto each other and it wasn't until Evelyn's phone vibrated in her pocket that she pulled away.