Chapter Eight

The hug only lasted a few moments, to the disappointment of both Angus and Evelyn. As they both reluctantly pulled away from one another, Evelyn looked upwards and towards Angus as he smiled down on her. But then all the sudden he frowned and his grip on her wrist tightened slightly as he huskily spoke.

"Evelyn no focused. Dangerous." He scolded and Evelyn's smile dropped as she tried to make meaning of his non fluent English. "Ready Evelyn. Dangerous." Angus repeated. From the concerned and angry tone he used, Evelyn assumed he was scolding her for not paying attention to her surroundings. When she asked, he nodded his head, his lips pressed into a thin line and wrinkles formed on his forehead from frowning.

"I promise to stay aware." Evelyn quietly spoke to him, slightly embarrassed from letting her guard drop in the middle of a forest. "Sorry." She mumbled as her head faced the floor.

Angus felt conflicted. It angered him that she had not been focused and aware of her surroundings, but it made his heart ache at the thought of Evelyn being upset with him, to the point where she couldn't even look at him anymore. A small growl came from Angus as he felt frustrated. He didn't know what to do in order for her to be happy again. He reached out as his fingers tilted her head to look at him again. Her green eyes wide as they captivated his brown orbs.

He would never get tired of looking into them.

"Evelyn, okay." He hoarsely said as he concentrated hard to think of the words. "Just stay, aware. Please." When Evelyn rapidly nodded her head and her clouded eyes became clearer once again, he sighed in relief. She no longer looked upset and he had fixed it all by himself. Angus felt very proud of himself.

Evelyn smiled after Angus had told her to remain aware. From his tense posture she had felt his anger and irritation and she knew that he could easily get frustrated. Never have experiencing, or maybe haven't experienced for a very, very long time, of taking others feeling into consideration and being able to express those emotion and thoughts must be a huge challenge for Angus. Even though the man before her was a well built, mature person she couldn't help but resemble him to a toddler still learning and adjusting to interactions with other people. Although she was cautious, she found it adorable.

"Why, why did you leave? At the camp?" Evelyn quietly asked looking at Angus' solid chest in front of her. Her cheeks flushed at the sight of the toned muscle and tanned flesh in front of her but it was the only thing to look at that didn't involve losing the small amount of physical contact with him.

He tensed at the question meaning he had understood some or all of the question. He opened his mouth to speak but the nerves that overwhelmed him before started to build up again from just the thought. When Evelyn noticed how uncomfortable he was, she peered up at him. Hesitantly, she raised her hand and lightly grasped at the ends of his hair that fell past his shoulder.

When she pulled gently, Angus body relaxed and his eyes fluttered closed as he sighed in content. Mixed with the feeling of bliss from her touch and his thoughts on trying to remember the language to converse with his thought ran loose in his mind and he couldn't think of how to reply. His stomach dipped and he felt something in him tightening, a feeling he couldn't place.

"Was it overwhelming?" She asked quietly. She studied him in his relaxed state, watching as his eyebrows drew together from using the work overwhelming. "Scared, nervous, anxious, confused?" She suggested making him nod his head.

"N-Nervous." He confirmed. "Feel dad, won't like Angus." He confessed.

"My dad?" Evelyn questioned. "My dad would love to meet you. Especially if it proves I didn't get a concussion and was going crazy." She laughed. "I'm sorry for rushing going to camp. I was eager to see dad and show you to him I didn't take your feeling or perspective into consideration." She apologized.