Chapter Twenty Two

"Angus, it's a pleasure to meet you." Evelyn's mom Angie welcomed the new arrival, a soft smile on her face. Angus, who still was holding Evelyn's hand, smiled back and muttered a hello. His eyes widened in discomfort as he watched Angie approach him. She placed a hand on his arm just above his elbow and pecked his cheek in greeting as Angus just stood there passively.

He knew not to react outwardly, after all it was his Evy's mom, but nobody could kiss his cheek exempting Evelyn. She was the one who he shared the loving moments with, not anybody else. A small frown appeared on his face but nobody noticed it due to the excitement of being reunited with family.

"Evie, how was the trip?" Her mom greeted her daughter, wrapping her arms around her. Evelyn returned the hug with only one arm as Angus grip wouldn't let her go and restricted her from embracing her mother freely.

"It was amazing." She replied, squeezing Angus' hand and glancing up at him lovingly. Her gaze lingered on the man next to her and she thanked whatever god was there that she was blessed to be the one to find Angus. They understood each other and even in such a small time, they clicked, creating a bond between the two that made them both feel needed. A small smile was on his lips as he observed her, his eyes looking down on her in complete admiration.

"See what I mean?" Brads voice interrupted the moment, snapping Evelyn's attention back to her parents. "The whole entire trip." He teased. Evelyn squeezed her eyes closed momentarily, completely embarrassed by her dad outing them to her mom.

"That's good hon." Angie smiled knowingly, taking a step back and ignoring brads comment to save Evelyn some awkwardness. "Go and get settled back in, I can't imagine the boat ride was too amazing." She said with a laugh. Angie glanced up at Angus for a moment, thrilled that her daughter found such a good looking man. A small smile played on her lips. "Angus can stay in here or the spare room in the garden house with you. Need I remind you however that you're still my daughter and I don't want grandkids?"

The room fell silence, in shock. Evelyn's mouth dropped open, mortified by the fact her mom would say something so forward, not only to her but in front of her dad. Brad froze scratching his balding head from his wife's random comment and Angus narrowed his eyes, wondering why the tension in the room had grown. He didn't know what was going on.

"Angie, honey. Evie is 23 years old, she doesn't need this talk." Brad said, breaking the silence and grabbing his wife's hand. "Come now and I'll show you all our findings." With that, the awkward comment was put behind them as the jolly little man started rambling about the scenery, the PH levels and the findings he found while out on the island.

"You okay?" Angus asked Evelyn, concerned why her face had lit bright red.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm great." She nervously laughed. Angus felt like something was wrong but he ignored it as he pulled her in for a hug. It wasn't enough though, he felt too distanced from Evelyn. Unexpectantly, he scooped her off the ground and into his arms in bridal style, holding her body to his. The way from shock she clung to him, her arms around his neck pulling him in closer satisfied him. A small smile went onto his lips and he kissed her softly, his stomach dancing from the feelings of belonging she provided him with.

"What's a garden house?" Angus asked softly as he pulled away.

"It's like a mini house out the back, disconnected from this one. I got sick of my parents nagging me and I didn't plan on moving out, so I claimed it." Evelyn said.

Angus nodded his head, semi understanding what she said.

"Alright Gus, put me down." She laughed, tapping his chest twice with her hand. We need to move everything out back." Reluctantly, Angus lowered her gently to the ground and watched as she picked up her bag on wheels. Evelyn shyly reached for his hand, intertwining his fingers with hers and tugged him to follow her out to the garden shed.