Chapter Twenty Five

Angus was nervous. His palms felt slightly sweaty as his name was called out, a women appeared at the door with an overly happy smile on her face. Her blonde hair was cut short in a bob, dropping straight like a pin to just above her shoulders, her brown eyes not recuperating the smile her thin, painted bright red lips gave off. She was old though, or at least in his eyes. Her skin was tanned and wrinkly, making her appear to be similar age to Evy's mother.

"Angus, it's a pleasure to finally meet you." She greeted the man as he neared her door that she held open with her thin arm. "Please, come on in and take a seat. Make yourself comfortable."

Angus stepped inside cautiously, wishing that his Evy was here with him. He wanted nothing more than for her to be here and guide him through this, teach him what to do but unfortunately, she wasn't. And it was this lady's job to teach him. Evelyn wasn't allowed into the private sessions and even though she had dropped him off not too long ago, he was already craving her presence and her touch.

As he reached a chair in front of a large wooden desk, he bent to sit down, watching the lady in front of him and taking in every detail of her. Before he was even seated, she started taking again.

"I'm Doctor Jones, Loretta Jones." She sat herself down on her puffy black desk chair. "As you know, I'm your speech therapist but will also be acting as your psychiatrist to treat any mental malfunctions, disorders or traumatic experiences from living on your, um, island." She looked at Angus expectantly, waiting for an answer in words but all she got was a nod of her his, a very minor movement at that. She forced a polite smile on her face, already assessing him and his interaction with other people.

"Now, Angus. After we finish out the last of the paperwork," Angus mentally groaned. He hated paperwork, not that he understood it, but it took up a lot of Evelyn's time and he didn't want to waste any more time than necessary.

"We can begin this by just sitting and having a conversation with one another, or we can begin the educational stage in teaching you the basics of numerical and literacy." Doctor Jones gave Angus the options. She watched as he raised his eyebrows slightly, giving her a passive which she recognized as clueless.

With a small smile, this moment reminded her on why she loved her job. Helping the dumb and naive become a part of society. Although she had been at her job for the past fourteen years, never had she come across a patient like Angus and she was keen to start and begin to explore his mind and the development he had made over his lifespan. She may be forty three, but she knew a special person when she saw one, and when she looked at Angus, he screamed potential.

<><><><><><><>

"What have you got there?" Evelyn asked Angus as he opened the passenger side of the car. His tall body folded to sit in her car that was parked in the parking lot in front of the building Angus had just spent two hours in. Her heart fluttered at the breath taking, beautiful smile he gave her. In the most adorable manner, Angus bit his lip and reached inside the white paper bag and brang out a book.

"She said to read. This." Angus said, holding the book out for Evelyn to take and have a quick look at. "That tonight, another different nights. Until Gus go back." He said, distaste on his tone as he mentioned going back to the room.

Evelyn noticed the distaste and smiled to herself, laughing how Angus was repulsed by education after only two hours, whereas her and many other kids went to school for thirteen years of their lives. Not including university. The small book in her hand was green, and a nonfiction book. The literacy level was quite low as it just listed pictures and words of numbers, letters, colors, objects, animals, pretty much every daily object.