Lucy's friend but not Natsu's

One day later...
It was just another day in the guild...

Lucy sat next to Cana Albarona as she drank away.

Then Cana abruptly had an idea and put her drink down for a second, "wanna *hick* hear to get rid of Loke?" She asked Lucy. Cana's face had a red streak of blush running across it.

"Yes!" Lucy said desperate.

Loke has been leaving flowers at her door ever since they met. But he even left one with someone else's name!

"Tell him your a celestial wizard! He'll run for the hills after that!" She laughed then continued drinking.

Lucy narrowed her eyes as she thought about this.

*** time skip *** (Loke ignores Lucy now)

The sun setting. Members of the guild were drunk and Lisanna and Mira served them.

Lucy pulled her jacket on.

Natsu... I haven't seen him for a long time now... I wonder... she thought longingly to herself.

She looked to the ceiling and then sighed.

I shouldn't she mentally said.

She had already finished her strawberry smoothie and told Mira she was heading out. So she pushed past the doors and was hit by the cold fall breeze but withstood it.

She sunk her cold hands into her jacket pockets and kept walking.

Her cheeks were a light pink tint. Her hair had been down circling around her shoulders. A skirt and boots.

Of course her legs were cold but they were slowly turning numb.

"Brrr!" She mumbled jittering her teeth together.

Natsu had followed her.

Why? He already knows her story. So why if there's no reason?

To him there was something special about her, and that something he felt he had to protect it.

He didn't plan on letting her know he was there so but instead of hiding he actually walked along side her.

She was observing the night sky and hadn't known of Natsu's presence. It wasn't until she almost tripped from her lack of focus.

He caught her before she fell.

"Oh! Natsu!" She yelped. He gripped her forearm lightly.

"Dammit Lucy! Be careful! Watch where you're going!" Natsu snapped bitterly. He wore a look of disapproval.

Lucy nodded, "s-sorry? Thanks! You really sav-"

"I did no such thing. You... you were going to fall on me! So I stopped you," he grit his teeth and looked away.

Lucy laughed, "yeah, I thought it was something like that!"

Natsu didn't make eye contact with her and she walked along side him.

"Are you walking me home?" Lucy asked.

Natsu was taken back. Was that what he was doing?!

"No! Not everything's about you! God selfish princess! I can't just take a stroll?" Natsu spit the words.

Lucy flinched at the insults.

"I'm sorry," she said looking down with a hollow look.

Natsu's eyes turned into surprised shock as he blushed at his own words, he regretted calling her that but he's not the type to apologize, "whatever," he mumbled and then sank his head in his scarf.

Lucy shivered again and her pace slowed down.

"Here!" Natsu growled and put his hand in a fist form in front of the two, stopping them from continued their route. His hand was suddenly engulfed in flames that instantly warmed Lucy up.

She smiled and her cheeks turned less red.

She glanced at him, "thank you, Natsu..."

Natsu didn't say anything just ignored her acknowledgement towards him.

Lucy was nearing her apartment when she finally asked, "can we be friends?"

Natsu said almost immediately, "no."

They both had held their breathes.

Lucy didn't show any emotion at all and Natsu was glaring away.

If he was going to have mysteries feelings toward her then he wants to stay away!

"Okay! How about this!" Lucy suddenly seemed urgent as she turned to face him by standing in front of him, "I'll be your friend but your not mine!"

Natsu scoffed, "whatever."

Lucy smiled, "didn't hear a no!"

Natsu glared at her, "didn't hear a yes either."

Lucy shrugged, "think of the positive side of things."

"No," Natsu argued.

Lucy rolled her eyes playfully.

Natsu's fist extinguished but Lucy was still warm. He had a voice of venom as he said bitterly, "if I'm your friend I might as well walk you home. Every night. But you'll do as I say, if I say to be quiet then you will."

Lucy's eyed widened slightly as her cheeks turned red, "okay!"

Natsu sighed with irritation.

They reached Lucy's apartment and Natsu and Lucy parted.

she was the first who wanted to be my friend Natsu thought.

My first time to ask someone become my friend Lucy thought with a smile.

They both fell asleep soundly thinking of one another.