Chapter 17

"Why did you come here?" I asked glancing over at Felix who was leaning over the back railing, we were standing in the quarter deck.

"Didn't Genevieve tell you?" Felix stood up but held it hands on the wooden railing.

"No" I frowned, "She hasn't told me about anything of a visitor or-" then it clicked, before I ran away that day, mother and father were sitting at the dinning table for breakfast and father was looking through letters of suitors.

"Yeah, Im here from that, my letter was the last to be delivered, thats why I'm here so late" Felix said like he could read my mind, I looked up at him letting go of the railing, "Isabel, I don't want to pressure you into our marriage, If you don't want to we can just be friends. Ive seen how you look at your Eric, and how he looks at you"

"Its okay, mother has chosen well and Ill have no choice to marry you" I forced a smile through up coming tears.

"I can call it off-" Felix started but I cut him off.

"No" my voice was louder than I thought it would have been, "We need this alliance, for our kingdom" I softened my voice

"For your kingdom then" Felix smiled and I nodded and leaned over the railings again.

"The sun" I breathed, the sun had just touched the horizon and the sky had turned gold.

"You know there's a legend about the sun too" Felix said resting his arms back on the railing

"What is it?"

"When the last light of the sun shows over the horizon, there is said to be a green flash of light that takes you to the other side"

I looked up at him wide eyed, "Other side and in where the dead go?"

"Yes, to sail the seas for all entirety" Felix huffed and smiled.

"Do you want that?" I asked, "To sail the seas for all entirety?"

"Very much so" Felix smiled down at me, "But not yet, I have big plans first"

"What are they?"

"To help your kingdom of corse" He smirked then turned away from the sun and sat on the railing. "We should be heading back now"

I nodded, "Yeah, sure"

We slowly traveled back home and I sat on the back railing with my feet hanging over the edge of the ship, watching the sun go down, waiting for the green flash. The green flash never came and we docked a shore.

"Isabel?" I heard Felix

I swung my legs over and stood up, I saw Felix standing down on the main deck holding my dress. I smiled and paced down the stairs, the wooden ramp was placed over the gap between the ship and land. Felix and I walked down it and I got some stares for not wearing my dress.

I heard the clatters of hooves and saw a horse much like Angus just pure white.
The man walked him over, "My Lady" he bowed and so did the horse. A large grin formed over my face.

"Isabel, this is Sia, she is yours" Felix smiled walking over to us.

"Your serious?" I grinned

"Of course" Felix smiled and the man passed the reins over to me. Sia straight away sniffed at my neck. I patted her long white main that was coving her neck. She had a light brown saddle and reins already attached to her large body.

"She is a thoroughbred and shes fast" Felix smiled and patted Sia's high shoulder.

"Thank you so much" I breathed not taking my eyes of Sia.

"Shall we go" Felix smiled as I looked over at him.

"Sure" I breathed looking back at Sia.

Felix and I swapped what we were holding so I was holding my dress and Felix holding Sia's reins, then we started walking back through the town towards home. We walked passed Eric's home and I eyed the dark blue door as we walked passed. Something didn't seem right.

"I just want to check something" I whispered and let go of Sia.

"Isabel?" I heard Felix but Ignored him and walked over to the door, standing in front I felt a cool breeze rush over my skin. I grabbed onto the door handle and turned it, the door swung open and inside was dark besides a few candles lighting the room. I shut the door behind me and looked around. Empty and cold. I felt goose bumps crawl up my arms. I walked over to the bedroom door and opened it, Inside I saw Eric kneeling at Annes bed, her skin pale and lips purple. My eyes filled with the saddest tears, they soon rushed down my cheeks like a running river. Eric turned his head to me, tears were running from his eyes too. I stepped back, this cant be happening.

"Bell" Eric choked out as he stepped towards me.

My hands moved to my mouth as I dropped to my knees and I sobbed like a little child. "Shes gone!! Anne- no" I cried as Eric rushed over to me and wrapped his arms around me. I turned into his chest and held onto his shirt.
"Why did the gods take her Eric! Why!"

"I don't know Bell, I -I don't know" Eric sobbed hugging me tighter.

"Isabel?" I heard Felix, I turned and saw Felix standing at the bedroom door. His eyes widened when he saw Anne. "Im sorry, I-I, Ill wait outside" Felix ducked his head and turned on his heal. I let him go as I stayed with Eric.

"Please, Bell, don't leave me tonight" Eric croaked holding his arms out between us so we could look each other in the eyes.

"I wont, Ill stay with you" I smiled and kissed Eric's forehead. Then it was his turn to break down in my arms.
I ran my fingers through his hair and he cried, I remembered a lullaby Anne used to sign to Eric and I to get us to sleep, " It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word
And then that word grew louder and louder
'Til it was a battle cry
I'll come back when you call me
No need to say goodbye

Just because everything's changing
Doesn't mean it's never been this way before
All you can do is try to know who your friends are
As you head off to the war
Pick a star on the dark horizon and follow the light-"

"Bell" Eric looked up at me with sad eyes, I cupped his cheek with my small hand and softly pressed my lips on his.

"I wont leave you" I smiled and stood up and held my hand out to Eric, he took it hand stood up in front of me, "I made a promise to Anne to look after you, and Im going to keep that promise"