CHAPTER 2

I greeted people who smiled politely at me and a few more woman curtseyed. Everyone was dressed so handsomely and the ladies ball gowns had every colour, shape, size and embroidery imaginable. My heals tapped lightly against the polished gold and white marble floors and the live orchestra begun playing their first song for the night.

"May I have this first dance madam?" Eric smiled down at me, holding out his hand and bowing his head formally.

I nodded softly, "Of corse." I placed my tiny hand in his and we stepped out into the middle of the floor. Guests who didn't want to dance had stepped back to give some space for the people who wanted to dance to the music.
I found my mother, Queen Genevieve and my father, King Tobias also heading to the dance floor, hand in hand.

Eric spun me around and I let out a light chuckle, as I stepped back into him my left hand came upon Eric's shoulder and his right hand gripped my curved waist. We stepped in tune with the instrumental beat and spun in time with everyone else who danced.

"What do you want to to later on? After we run away from here of corse." Eric smiled as our feet guided themselves around the dance floor.

"Lets sail away together and explore the world." I blushed thinking of how free Eric and I would be. We go go anywhere we wanted to and be anything we wanted to be.

"I'm serious." So was I. Eric's arms pulled me closer to his chest and occasionally our torsos would collide.

"Lets get some bread from the bakers in town, they should be still open right?" Eric nodded and I continued, "Then go watch the stars on the hillside, taking Angus and Datch." Angus and Datch are our horses that we rode everywhere when we traveled outside the castle walls. I only rode in the carriage when I traveled with my mother and father.

"That sounds perfect, but why don't we just get the bread from here?" Eric asked, his head tilted down allowing him to be closer to me.

"Nothing beats the village bakers Eric." I replied, grinning as I was spun around once again.

As the song came to an end, a gentleman, Viscount Lionel Mclaney, a friend of my fathers had approached Eric and myself. Sir Mclaney was a middle aged man who lost his wife to consumption four years ago. Though he did have twelve sons to pass on his lineage.

Formally, If I didn't speak first, Viscount Lionel Mclaney wouldn't be able to speak to me and he would be embarrassed in front of everyone.
I wasn't that kind of person to ignore another and Sir Mclaney is a good man at heart.

"Viscount Mclaney." I smiled and he bowed his head reaching out for my hand, I placed it in his and he pecked my knuckles in a polite manner.

"Your royal highness." His foreign accent was thick, as he traveled a lot all over the country and had to learn all the different types of languages. I noticed his black hair line starting to recede from his wrinkled forehead. "May this old family friend have the next dance madam?"

I nodded once, "Of course Lionel." I kept a smile on my lips even though all I wanted was to begin my troubles with Eric. Eric had bowed respectively and left, probably for the food table. The next song started and we danced a different routine to a similar rhythm by the orchestra. More people had joined in the dance for the second song and I smiled when I saw three young children all dancing together out of step. Eric and I used to dance like that together, the first ball he attended Eric was very shy about it all but then I'd made him dance with me and he'd grown more confident. I miss those days of us together so close. I remember the day when Eric and I decided to play dress ups and we 'got married'. We'd told my parents about it then thats when I found out I couldn't marry Eric for he was a commoner and I was a princess. I was crushed when I found out but grew to understand and accept that it is our law. But there is nothing against us being close friends.