Alone Time

©JRF2016

Grace was starting to get sleepy so I take her inside and leave the rest of the farming to Reid and Charlie.  A few weeks ago Cearra had found a whole bunch of books while out on a run and I had been so excited to see Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.  I started reading Tom Sawyer to Gracie and it didn't take long for her to fall fast asleep.  I move to the opposite end of the bed with my back to the door so I wouldn't wake her and kept reading. I've always loved the classics. 

The light was starting to fade so I closed the book and looked at Grace.  She was still asleep but it wouldn't be long before she would wake up and be hungry.  "Hey Sexy," Reid said.  I turn to see him standing in the doorway.

"Shhh, your daughter's sleeping Chief.  You're going to wake her up?"  I scold him and he sticks out his bottom lip in the cutest little pout.  I stand up and walk over to him with an uncontrollable grin on my face.  I'm starting to feel those feelings I felt before Conner showed up.  It is crazy the things this man does to my body.  I could feel the heat rising inside of me and my heart was pounding so hard.  The last person I wanted right now was Conner.  I wrap my arms around his waist and kiss his neck.  I rest my head on his shoulder and whisper into his ear, "I'm so glad I walked into that supermarket and had the nerve to approach you and Darrick that day."  I feel him squeeze me tighter as I continue, "That was the best day of my life because I met you and I'm sorry I chose Conner over you when he came back.  I think I'm really starting to fall for you Chief."

"I'm glad we met too," he whispers.  "And you may have taken a detour with Conner when he came back but you're here with me now and I'm not letting you go."  I look up into his eyes and slide out of the embrace.  He pulls the curtain door closed as I hold onto his hand and lead him over to the bed. He places his hands on my hips and starts kissing my neck.  He picks at the flannel shirt I have on over my tank top.  "I used to hate that shirt of mine.  Now that you're wearing it, it's my favorite shirt, but it's still got to go."  He puts his hands on my shoulders and slides the shirt off them.  He presses his lips to mine as the shirt hits the floor.  It feels good feeling his soft lips on my bare skin as they leave my lips and make their way down my neck.  I let out a quiet moan when Grace starts crying.  Reid places his forehead to mine as he chuckles, "Never any alone time in this place."  He walks over and picks up his daughter as I fix her bottle.  I turn and toss it to him.  Grace was noisily enjoying her dinner as we all sat down on the bed.

"Maybe one day soon we'll get our alone time," I smile at him and kiss him one more time.

"Didn't take you long to make your move Reid," Conner grinds his teeth as he watches from the doorway. 

"I told you if you hurt her I'd hurt you, you better be glad I didn't keep that promise.  You screwed up man, don't be mad at me.  You'd do the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot and you know it."  Conner stomps off to his room.

The months wore on and between runs, Grace, the chores, everything we never really did get that alone time.  Every minute I had with Reid was special time no matter what we did.  I had fallen completely madly in love with this man.  Grace was chattering all the time now and she was even toddling around some.  She followed me everywhere every chance she got.  We have had to have more people on the fences night and day.  The zombies just keep coming.  They are piling on the fences and starting to bend them inward.  It seems for every one we took down five more showed up.  Reid and Charlie were doing the farming most days and I helped on the fence all day while Jenny watched Grace. I was working beside Conner on the fence day after day for a couple of weeks now and we were fine.  We both have come to terms with what our relationship was.  It was love but it was love for each of us at different times.  Once we realized that we were actually able to be civil with each other.  Conner was spending more time with Cathy and I had Reid.  "So," I say as I yank my spear out of the brain of one of our dead neighbors, "You and Cathy have been hanging out a lot lately, what's going on there?"

"Jealous?"  Conner teases. 

"No."  I say smiling as my eyes shoot to the corner of the socket to look at him, "You hurt me bad but I'm not mad at you anymore.  I realize that you didn't love me before and when you did love me, I loved someone else.  I know we still love each other but we aren't in love with each other.  Probably never were and I just want you to be happy." 

"Same goes for you.  If you're happy, I'm happy." 

It was starting to get dark and I was still at the fence when Reid walks down.  "Rachel," he said walking up behind me, "You need to take a break. That's why we set up shifts."

"Shifts ain't enough, Chief."  I tell him without stopping.  "We need all the people we can spare to stay on top of this."  Reid grabs my arm and drags me away.

"Get some rest," he says looking directly into my eyes, "Just a little and I'll come back out here with you and help too."  He kisses me on the lips and slides an arm around my waist.  I let him lead me inside. When we get inside Grace was jumping up and down on the bed.  I look back at Reid.  "Don't think I'm gonna get much rest in here tonight either.  Might as well go back and work on the fence."  He squeezes my hip and held me so I couldn't leave.

"Oh, no ya don't," he said, "No matter what, you need your rest."  Grace holds up her arms to me.

"Mama play."

"I gotta take a nap sweet pea, daddy's orders."  I look back at Reid and smile as Grace pouts at her daddy. I slip out of my dirty t-shirt and grab one of Reid's shirts.  I feel him slide his arms around me again and start to kiss my neck.  I lean back into his chest as he sucked at my neck for a second before pulling away and sliding his shirt on.  "That is not resting, Chief."  I smile at him as I slide into the bed next to Grace.  I lay down with Gracie beside me resting her head on my chest.  "Good night sweet pea." I whisper to her.  Reid slides in next to me and puts an arm around the two of us.

"Good night, Rachel."  Reid says as he kisses both of us.  "Good night Gracie."

Grace and I woke up before Reid and were sitting at the foot of the bed so we wouldn't wake him up.  I tickle her and she starts giggling.  Reid stirs a little and I stop to look back at him.  He was still asleep.  I stand up and whisper to Grace, "Let's go for a stroll, squirt."  She stands up on the bed and holds out her arms.  "Mama," She squeals excitedly.

"Shh, daddy's sleeping and we don't want to wake him."  I pick her up and start to walk out with her when I feel a hand grab me.  He pulls me back into him and places a gentle kiss on my neck.

"Too late, daddy's already awake."  I turn in his arms and look up into his eyes.  "I've been awake listening to you two playing."  He places a kiss on my lips but pulls away again way too quickly.  "Hey Jenny," he shouts and then runs around me to her.  I look down at Grace confused.  "What do you suppose your daddy wants with her?"  They talk for a minute in a hushed tone until Jenny walks over and takes Grace out of my arms smiling at me.  She shot me a quick wink before walking away.  Reid walks back over wrapping his arms around me and kissing my neck again.  "What was that about?"

"Jenny is gonna watch Grace today."  Reid advises me in between kisses.

"Good I need to get back out and help on the fence."  I say as I start to walk outside.  Reid pulls me back to him and looks deep into my eyes.

"Uh, uh," he starts, "We never have any alone time.  Jenny is watching Grace today, Darrick's taking a group out on a run, and the rest are going to be on the fence.  We've got this whole cell block to ourselves for the entire day.  Just me and you, no baby, no runs.  I finally get you all to myself and we get some alone time."  He smiles as he presses his body and his lips to mine in a deeply passionate kiss.  He turns and backs up to the bed sitting down on it.  He lifts the hem of my shirt and kisses my stomach before slipping it over my head and pulling me down onto the bed with him.

"Alone time," I moan as he places soft, gentle kisses up and down my body.  His stubble which is growing into quite a beard now was tickling my skin causing me to let out another slow moan.  I feel his smile against my skin as a surge of heat runs through me.