For The Love of

©JRF2016

{Conner's POV}  I didn't go straight to the tower for watch. I start toward the house thinking maybe I could make up with Cearra first, as much as I was attracted to Becky, I can't pull myself away from Cearra. I walk into the house and see Reid and Rachel hugged up as usual in the kitchen. Ever since those two little shit machines were born Reid has been Mister Perfect. I still think it's just because he doesn't have any other choice. Rachel looks up from the babies and smiles at me. I feel butterflies fluttering in the pit of my stomach; she still made me feel like that. Damn, I hate that she can still make me feel that way. Maybe Cearra is right, maybe she should be angry with me over the whole Rachel thing. Maybe I'm not over her like I want to think I am. I smile back even though inside I just want to beat the shit out of Reid and take her from him. He didn't deserve her, he didn't deserve her forgiveness. "Cearra's already left this morning." Rachel smiles even wider as she winks at me. "I know you two had a little spat yesterday but I think she wanted to apologize this morning." I give her a nod, even though Cearra isn't the one I was thinking about right now, and then I turn to go take watch.

I stand against the wall of that clock tower with my right foot propped up and my rifle resting across my knee cradled in my arms. I stare out in the distance but I was lost in my thoughts. Most were of Rachel. The woman had a tight grip on my heart and I couldn't break away. I've never been wrapped up in a woman like this.

I had seen her several times and even tried to talk to her but she wouldn't give me any play. Something about that though made me want her even more. I always wanted what I couldn't have. It took four months to finally get her to talk to me and another four to convince her to go out with me. We had been going out for another three before she finally let me get to second base. She was a tough cookie to crack and I loved that. I had never been with a woman that didn't jump into the sack with me on the first date. We were on the couch in that old hunting shack I shared with my brother and we were getting a little hot and heavy. I was trying my best to get into her pants this time when Darrick walked in from his hunt. "Conner!" He shouted as he walked in the door. "Get your chubby ass out here and help me. I got a good load this time." He suddenly stopped when he noticed Rachel on the couch with me. He gave her a slight nod but didn't say a word. She jumped up quickly and stuck her hand out for Darrick, "I'm Rachel. I'm Conner's," I jumped up in front of her cutting off her sentence. "Come on, big brother. Let's get that kill of yours skinned and gutted." I wrapped my arm around Darrick's shoulders and quickly got him out of there.

After Darrick and I finished cleaning his kill we walked in side by side to see Rachel in the kitchen. She was in front of the stove cooking something and it smelled delicious. I walked up behind her forgetting that Darrick was with me and I put my arms around her waist and kissed her neck. "I just figured you two would need a good supper after all that work." She said smiling as she turned to me and placed a soft kiss on my lips. She finished cooking and put the plates on the table in front of me and Darrick before sitting herself next to me. We ate in silence and when Darrick finished he left and went to his room where he stayed the rest of the night. "Your brother doesn't talk much, huh?" She asked as I led her to my room pulling her into me and kissing her hard. I walked her over to the bed and lay her down crawling over top of her. She giggled and pushed me back up. "I'm glad I finally got to meet your brother, he's cute." Harmless words, she didn't mean anything by it but still those words made me fume. "What the hell's that mean? You like my brother? You wanna screw him now?" I stood up and glared at her, "You won't let me have none but you'll give it up to my little brother?" I reached down and grabbed a handful of her dirty blonde hair and yanked her up off the bed. I dragged her toward the door and threw her out on the porch. She lay there in shock for a minute before staring back up at me. "Get outta here! You filthy, good for nothin' whore!" I saw a tear slip from her eye before I slammed the door shut on her.