Chapter 31 | Prometheus

[Note: This chapter holds the award for having the highest number of loopholes in the plot and rather embarrassing and glaring errors. Editing this chapter would not help, this chapter would be re-written completely as soon as possible. (07.02.2018)].

Profus led us through the door which opened into a huge hall. We were in the observation desk and could see thousands and thousands of people seated below us, working on computers. "What are they all doing?" I asked Profus. "This is were all the magic happens. All the systems on each and every base of this planet is controlled here in this huge hall. And most of the non sensitive information regarding the war and the planets on which we're spying comes through here." He started. "Wait." I interrupted him. "There are other planets on which you're spying?" I asked him. "Yes. Fifteen more to br precise." He replied. "And all these planets are in different universes, right?" I ask him. He nodded his head. "So that means, you can see Earth, right?" I ask him, questions flooding my brain. "That's right." Profus replied. Profus looked at Montwik and some sort of agreement passed between them. "Show them." Montwik said. Profus led us to another room, with Just a few people working in it.

"As Montwik may have already told this to you, we've been tracking you since the beginning of your evolution. From homonids to homo sapiens, we've been closely observing you. Even though you were the last species we cloned and put you on a planet, you were the fastest evolving species. You invented fire before the other species even started hunting. Your evolution from the apes to human species was the fastest we've ever observed and that made the people here watch you with keen interest. And yes, we've had spies amongst you and we do even now. And they don't have any good news for us. Time isn't the same in this universe as it is on yours. Time runs faster on your universe than it does here. So, that means that years have passed by since you arrived here." He started. I interrupted him once again. "Exactly how many?" I ask him. "You really want to know?" He asked. "Yes." I replied. "You had about fifty years left to the disastrous event when you took off. But your journey through the wormhole cost you lots of years. Forty years to be exact. And you've been here for five days. And each day here is half a year back on Earth. That means, forty two and a half years have passed by since you've left earth." Profus said. "You've got to be kidding me." Reneesh said. "So that means Earth has seven and a half years." I said. "And we have fifteen days." Reneesh continued. "If you guys can really control the fourth dimension, why can't you just slow it down? Synchronise it with this universe?" I ask him. "The kenjah is not a fool to leave such extraordinary powers to us. The controls to it are present deep down the kenjah's fort. And can be accessed by the kenjah only." Montwik said. "What are they doing right at this moment?" I asked Montwik. Montwik looked at Profus and signalled him to do it.

Profus went to the big screen which was in the centre of the room and opened it. A video of Earth from a satellite view started playing. It was... horrifying. The side facing the sun was glowing with an orange color. "The gravitational anomaly in the sun, which is almost in its end, forced Earth to become tide -locked with the sun. That means, one side would face the sun, always. That means that the earth has stopped rotating. It didn't stop rotating suddenly though, which would have been disastrous, it took years for it to happen. It happened gradually. And, also, no signal would pass between galaxies, in case you didn't know about this before. It just is not possible." He said. "Then what about the message we received from Earth after we came into this universe?" Souvik asked. "That was sent by us, so that your crew would not be emotionally affected." He replied. "So that means whatever was there in the message was false?" Anna asked, hope rising in her voice. "No, Anna. The message was sent by me, without the permission of the kenjah. The people have fled to Europa. But one of the ship got caught up in the solar storm. And it... crashed." He said. "How many casualties?" I asked. "Well..." he struggled to get words out of his mouth. "How many?" I asked. "There were three ships." He said. "What? Just three for the whole population?" I asked him, shocked. "Yes, and the ship which collapsed, it was the main ship, the largest of the three." He said. "How many casualties?" I asked. "Too many. Only half a million are still alive." he said. The room fell silent. This is a huge blow to each and every one of us. "What about the USRA? The project heads and the world leaders? Luckily, all the important people were in Prometheus One and Prometheus Three. Prometheus Two, the ship which crashed onto the surface of Mars, mainly consisted of the poor and the middle class people." Montwik said.

"Where are they right now?" I asked them. "They're on Europa. The solar flares caused the ice surface of the moon to partially melt and that's not a good sign. They're planning to take their ships and wait near the wormhole. They don't have another choice. The solar flares are pounding them." he replied. I looked at the screen again. The side of the earth facing the sun looked no different from the surface of Venus. I'm pretty sure volcanoes and earthquakes are ripping through the planet which we once called our home. All our hard work, destroyed.

"Is there any way for me to talk with the USRA Chairman or the project head? Do they have any idea what's happening here? Your spies, have they come in contact with humans and tell them about what's happening here?" I asked Montwik. "It is not good for the both of our sides if the spies blow their covers. The humans, out of their desperation, can hold them hostage for us to let you go. But we can indeed arrange for a conversation between here and one of the ships. We've hacked into your systems before." Profus said. "Yeah, we know this part." I replied. "In how many minutes can I expect a connection?" I asked Profus. "Ten minutes, I'll have it ready." Profus replied. "Get it done fast." I said.

"We have fifteen days and counting."

****