Chapter 36

"What the hell could have happened to Schrotanic?" I asked. We were on the jet back to Base Four. The rest of the crew stayed behind at Base One to look after stuff along with Jack. I was on the jet along with Montwik. "Probably said a word or two which we ought to know. Profus gets excited way too easily." Montwik replied. "He was not excited, Montwik, he almost sounded scared." I replied. "Scared?" Montwik asked, laughing. "Profus never gets scared, Captain. I've known him my entire life!" he continued. "There's something wrong, okay? I can feel it in my bones." I insist. "Call up the tower, ask them to patch us in to Profus." I tell him. "Stop worrying, Captain. Nothing is wrong. We're just an hour or so out from Base Four. Whatever it is, I guess it can wait for an hour." He replied.

***

"Tower to Alpha One, you are cleared for landing."

Our jet was stabilizing the pressure just after we landed on the underground base. I could see Profus standing on the raised platform at the other end of the launching cum landing pads. "Holy crap, he does look worried." Montwik muttered. "No shit, Sherlock." I replied, standing up, eager to know what happened. Montwik and I stepped out of the door, right after it hissed open, and broke into a jog towards Profus. As we got closer to Profus, we could see bruises and cuts on his head and also his hand. "What the hell happened?" Montwik asked him, putting his hand on Profus's shoulder. "What are all these bruises and cuts?" he continued. "It's Scrotanic. You have to see this to believe it." He replied, gesturing us to follow him. "What the hell happened?" Montwik asked him again. "Just wait will you? You'll see what I'm referring to." Profus said, irritated.

We were almost running through the corridors towards the holding cells where Schrotanic was kept. I heard it before I could see it.

I could hear Schrotanic screaming his throat out. His screams were followed by him muttering a few words and then continue screaming again. "What in god's name is happening?" Montwik muttered, as we ran towards his cell.

I saw Schrotanic sitting in one corner of his room, his head buried in his palms. He suddenly got up, his eyes red and started screaming at the top of his voice. He went back again into his former position and started muttering words I couldn't catch. "When did this start?" Montwik asked profus, keeping his eyes glued on Schrotanic. "Roughly the same time when you guys hit bases all around the planet. All the teams succeeded by the way." Profus replied. Schrotanic suddenly got up again and started screaming. "SCHROTANIC! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?" I yelled at him. He showed no signs that he had heard what I said and continued screaming. "What is he muttering?" Montwik asked Profus, seeing Schrotanic go back to his sitting position. "I've been trying to figure that out. The guard said that he was talking with Schrotanic when he suddenly had this dazed look on his face. His hand then fliched and he started muttering and then the screaming began." Profus replied. "Whoa! Hold On!" I interrupted. "Dazed look? His hand fliched?" I asked Profus. "Umm.. yes. That's what the guard said." Profus replied. I turned to Montwik. "Leo's body fliched just before his body was taken over by whoever was trying to control it." I said, the horrifying realisation settling in my head. "Holy Crap." Montwik said, his eyes wide open.
Suddenly Schrotanic came near the bars, his eyes filled with the same madness I'd seen in Leo's.

"THE WAIT IS FINALLY OVER, RITHVIK. I TOLD YOU THIS DAY WOULD COME. IT HAS COME. It's beautiful. So beautiful."

And with that he collapsed.